1st Dan Essay

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Aidan84, May 6, 2013.

1. Aidan84

Aidan84 New Member

Hi all, quick question. Apparently for my 1st dan grading, I've got to do an essay. I'm not really sure what to put in it. I've not been given a question to answer... any ideas?

UK-Student likes this.
  3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

How open is it?

My first dan essay was essentially a comparison of myself as a 9th gup vs a 1st dan candidate.
    I did the comparison physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

My GM is an academic. (Retired college dean) so he likes to see thesis with support.
    IOW-
    Bad- I am in better shape.
    Good- Then I was xxxx pounds, now I am xxxx-30 pounds. Then I could run a mile and lose my breath. Now I can run 5 and be OK.

Still it's your thesis, and you should write about what is important to you and why.

4. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

When I tested for 1st Dan, the big question I worked on was "What are my goals after achieving black belt?" It was a nice way to focus on further short and long-term goals in your training.

John Hulslander likes this.
  5. John Hulslander

It seems that every candidate states what they will do if they pass, and if they don't.
    At least in our dojang it does.

6. Aidan84

Aidan84 New Member

It's a tough one as my instructor isn't grading me, he's a 3rd dan so can't do it I believe. We've had to go with a club a fair way away, so I'm not sure what their usual criteria is. :-S

UK-Student likes this.
  7. John Hulslander

Presumably said 3rd Dan has been through it, and should be able to provide guidance then, yes?

UK-Student and Aidan84 like this.
  8. Aidan84

Aidan84 New Member

I think so, but different clubs seem to have different requirements. I'm not sure he performed his dan gradings with the same club. I'm just seeing if there seems to be a common theme. :)

UK-Student likes this.
  9. David Allen

David Allen New Member

We had 6 questions...
    1. What are your personal reasons for wanting to achieve a Black Belt?
    2. In your journey to Black Belt what changes in your life has Taekwondo made?
    3. Through all the tenets of Taekwondo which one is the most important to you and why?
    4. What does your family and friends think about what you have achieved?
    5. What style of Taekwondo do you do and who is the founder and when was it founded?
    6. What is the translation of the word Taekwondo?

UK-Student likes this.
  10. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

If you weren't given a topic, you should ask your instructor what he wants you to write about first before writing the essay. If he gives you a topic, you have your answer. If he does not, then you should write about you and what TKD means to you. What TKD has done for you and what you can do to further the art of TKD. Master Fahy

11. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Hi Aidan

I'm guessing from your profile pic uniform and your other posts here that you practice Kukkiwon style Taekwondo.

If so, some good questions for essays might be:

What is Taegeuk?
    How do the philosophical meanings underpinning the patterns affect the movements they contain and how they are performed?
    What is 'Do'?
    What are the common threads linking poomsae, sport and self defence?
    What Korean symbolism is represented in the Taegeuk series and why?
    How has practising Taekwondo changed the way you behave outside of the Dojang?
    What main transferable skills does Taekwondo teach?
    What can you do to take more ownership of your personal progress after 1st Dan?
    How can you test the practicability of what you have learned?

If you're not training at a KKW affiliated school, some of these will still work.

Gnarlie

UK-Student likes this.
  12. Aidan84

Aidan84 New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it gives me some things to work with. :)

UK-Student likes this.
  13. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Mr Fahy advice is realy the best, in my opinion and this is what i expect my black belts to do.

14. Kyosanim Ray Martel

Kyosanim Ray Martel New Member

I would write the essay on what you believe it takes not only to earn your 1st dan, but what it means to be a 1st dan.
    This is a great responsibility & honor on your path in TKD

UK-Student likes this.
  15. Mike Nickson

Mike Nickson New Member

I believe at our school you again have to complete a paper along the lines of explaining why you took it up and what you have learnt. Whilst I have a while until I will need to write it I am already looking forward to it. I believe the idea of the paper is that you have seen benefits and have taken away benefits and a correct understanding of what you are learning and why it benefits you and that your attitude is correct. I think this is a great idea and I have seen so many benefits already and am still loving and looking forward to every class (have one this evening) that I love helping in any way I can.
    I am sure you will write what is correct for your school and your Master/Instructor, speak from the heart about what it has meant to you. Peace of mind and spirit.

UK-Student likes this.
  16. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Good luck with your essay and grading!

17. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

The good news is once you get through the first essay or thesis they become easier. This is because your understanding of the art will greatly improve. Better news 2nd Dan is twice as long, 3rd Dan for me was 3000 words. I analysed the application of the tenets. Comparing the virtues of earlier times and how they differ or not, from today. Good Luck