40yr old girl new to Tkd!

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Trudi, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Trudi

Trudi New Member

Hi everyone! I took up Tkd in December - my 7 yr old daughter started just 12 months ago. I passed my 8th kup 3 weeks ago.
    I am the oldest female there but am loving it!!! I look forward to my training on Thursdays and am thinking of training a second day each week too.
    Age does come with its benefits mind you, falling into the "veterans" category means I get to do less sit ups/puss ups than all those "young 'ins"!!!!

Mel Ober likes this.
  2. Brian

Brian Member

Congrats ma'am and best of luck!

3. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Hey, congratulations on your recent grading! My parents both started above age 40 and achieved black belts (Dad 2nd degree) so don't let anyone tell you you can't do something based on age. Strongly consider training twice a week - in my experience you will love the extra progress you can make and will never look back.

4. Jane

Jane New Member

Hi Trudi! Really pleased to see someone my own age taking up Taekwondo! I also started at 40 and have been training now for almost two years. I'm presently preparing for my 3rd Kup grading and hope to continue training for as long as possible! I don't find age stops me from doing much, although my flexibility may be slightly less than the younger ones! Twice weekly training is definitely to be reccommended as you move up the gradings to help with your technique and progress with the patterns. Hope you continue to enjoy Taekwondo!

Trudi likes this.
  5. Mel Ober

Mel Ober New Member

Welcome Trudi.

6. Granada88

Granada88 New Member

Welcome, Trudi! I hope you enjoy your journey!:)

7. AliPat

AliPat New Member

Hi, I started with my daughter when I was 41. I am now training really hard in preparation for my black belt in a couple of months. It will be hard work but well worth it

8. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Keep up the work Trudy and good luck with your Tkd life

9. Trudi

Trudi New Member

Thanx everyone!! Nice to read all your stories =)

10. Welcome Trudi, Hope you enjoy the journey of Taekwondo. Age is just a hurdle and if you take on the second night you will find that in no time you will be doing everything the younger ones are doing. May be not as fast or hard but still doing it and that is what counts the most.

Trudi likes this.
  11. Trudi

Trudi New Member

So I lost at my first competition. But what a great experiance! Great sportsmanship! Great learning and even better - my 8 year old won gold for her pattern and bronze for her sparring!
    Next year I hope to do better but until then I'm just loving my tae kwon do

12. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Keep it up and great attitude as competitions are great for experience and a great learning curve.