5 reasons taekwondo is useless

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by michael mckenna, Nov 4, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

2. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Well the first thing to say here is that this guy doesn't have the sense to recognise that he is only looking at the sport side of a full martial art and comparing it with another full martial art (Shotokan) he has been involved with. Tells us a lot about the depth of investigative journalism that we are dealing with.

5. Taekwondo is wild haymakers:

If you don't have a clue what Taekwondo is or what you are doing, then, yes, haymakers. To those who understand what they are doing in sport Taekwondo, it's a highly skilled, accurate, calculated and competitive sport. The Kukki TKD martial art (which Mr Parrot has completely missed) is anything but haymakers. In IT support circles, they call this PEBCAK. Problem exists between chair and keyboard. Down to the individual.

4. I can't get a snap out of my badge-covered polyester uniform:

2 reasons - the dojang he attended was bad (cheap polyester mix uniforms covered in badges are a good indicator of that), and bad technique. Choose your dojang more carefully. Practice your technique more carefully. Down to the individual. PEBCAK.

3. 60% Kids:

The future of most martial arts, and particularly in keeping with Taekwondo's humanitarian ideal. About 60% of 'new' business that walks in the door is people who 'did this when they were little'. Others continue without taking a break and go on to become great martial artists. It's a long term investment in the future of the art. Some of the best martial artists I know started Taekwondo when they were toddlers. It's funny how people don't like kids doing the art, but have great respect for martial artists with great skill that only comes from a long habit. How you view it is, um, down to the individual.

2. Not punching or knowing how to deal with punches:

Yeah, right. If you're not taught how to punch, you're learning a SPORT, not a martial art. And, you're learning that sport BADLY. Good sports players know how to punch and how to deal with punches. Taekwondo martial artists know how to punch and how to deal with punches. There's nobody in TKD who doesn't recognise a 'block punch combo'. The reason 'we don't do that' is that deliberately hard blocking to the leg with intent to injure is tantamount to an attack below the waist and is therefore against the rules. Parrying combined with footwork and punching is bread and butter, however. This guy was a yellow belt. Too early on in his learning (even / especially with 15 years of Karate conditioning) to understand and know what he was talking about in the Taekwondo context. A common problem and, er, down to the individual.

1. $5000 black belt:

Do some maths. Add your licensing costs, testing fees, training fees, certification fees, tournament fees, equipment fees, uniforms, seminars, and whatever else over the time it will take you to reach black belt. I estimate the cost over the 4 years it took me to reach 1st dan to be somewhere in the 5k vicinity - and that's OK, because the majority of it comes from paying 5 quid a lesson for quality tuition several times a week for 4 years. How much you would pay over a shorter timescale would be largely dependent on the ongoing training fees as that's the bulk of the cost.

The figure presented is presented in isolation without context, and I would venture that a similar figure is required to reach 1st dan in any other martial art, because the majority of the cost is ongoing training fees.

I'd argue that similar or even higher ongoing costs would be evident in any sport or activity that requires equipment and a trainer, like horse riding, tennis, swimming, archery, shooting, learning a language etc. Many pastimes require 1 on 1 time with a trainer, typically costing 25+ per hour. Even joining a gym can cost hundreds per year, and people pay that and don't even go!

The figure is presented in such a way that it is deliberately misleading. A black belt is something that costs time and effort, and some of that time costs money if you are taught by people worth learning from. How much you are willing to pay in terms of both time and effort is down to the individual.

Summary

In summary, all 5 of the points made have more to do with the negative outlook of the writer that the actual truth of the situation. You see what you want to see, and life reflects your outlook. And that, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, is down to the individual. PEBCAK.

michael mckenna likes this.
  4. Gnarlie

5. Gnarlie

double post.

6. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

i found a quote that was on black belt magazine facebook page and i think it would apply to this

Just as with Zen, one understands aikido only by practicing it—not by talking about it.”

i would say this applys to every martial art not just aikido

7. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Try getting a professional anything for less than $50 an hour, that makes martial arts training a bargain.

8. Gnarlie

Absolutely, especially if you find a nice small class.

9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

5 There is a lack of control in TKD sometimes. I find it strange, but look at these two videos and compare

I dont know why this is, but there does appear to be aot of 'haymakers' in TKD compared to boxing. Maybe this is just because there are more techniques that are harder to master in taekwondo. Maybe there is a steeper learning curve? Personally I attribute it mainly to point 3

4 I dislike the uniforms, but saying it negatively impacts the art is silly.

3 I mentioned before I dislike the fact that so many kids do taekwondo. I see Gnarlies point that its an investment in the future of the sport, but also, where are the 20 something year olds? People seem to do it as kids, then stop, and take it up again as adults at 40. There are signifigantly fewer 20 somethings actively engaged in it than in something like muay thai. I think this is partly an image problem, but also because clubs are not geared up to hard training often. Its easier, cheaper and safer to teach classes with less chance of injury, and you can do it in a church hall, as opposed to a proper gym. Not saying this is exactly a fault with the art, as there is no reason taekwondo could not be taught in that way, it just seems to be less common.

2 not really a flaw in the art, again, just a different approach. But definitely a risky one. I think the title '5 reasons why i suck at taekwondo' is actually very true here. Taekwondo has a different fighting philosophy to something like muay thai. Its about using timing to stay on the outside, and land powerful shots from range without being hit. Where as something like muay thai is generally at closer range, with more of an emphasis on fighting 'in the pocket' for more extended periods, using longer combos, and basically brawling it out more. Both ways are valid, and both work. It comes down to which works for you. I think the taekwondo way is harder to do well, and less people will be able to do it well.

1 yeah I dont like gradings

10. Gnarlie

It happens because people try to punch from kicking range and end up losing control.

Loads of 20s and 30s in our club. Mind you, it's a proper fitted dojang.

I like to combine both. Which is what TKD should do when it's done right. But like I said, people try to punch out of kicking range and it just is overcommitted and sloppy, with a high risk factor.

Gradings are not the cost. Gradings have formed less than 10% of the cost overall of training TKD for me. The big part of the cost is ongoing training fees, which are there whatever art or sport you pick. Thats why the article is misleading.

11. darylb11005

darylb11005 New Member

I don't think there is anything in this article worth getting excited about. What we have here is the opinion of one person. Just one person, based on an experience with one TKD club (at least this is what I gathered from the article, as I found no indication more than one club is being evaluated). This hardly reflects poorly on TKD as a whole.

12. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

I agree, but point sparring rewards outfighting more than in. If I decide to take a shot, and in the process move into range to deliver 2 or 3 harder shots, the other guy still gets the point.

13. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

14. Gnarlie

Do you mean stop/start after every point?

15. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

yes. In continuous sparring it is different :)

16. Gnarlie

Ahh. I agree. Stop start is a distance poacher's game.

michael mckenna likes this.