a section for explaining different federations and organizations

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by michael mckenna, Oct 18, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

i was thinking it would be nice to have an area on this that explains different federations and organizations, differences, focus, and who founded it. as there will be some people who come on this and dont know the difference between WTF, ITF, GTF AIMAA, KUKKIWON, UKTA ect.. as i personally like to know about the different federations and and who founded them. just a thought that could be helpfull

Tom.D likes this.
  3. Tom.D

Tom.D Active Member

Heya Michael. by god, thats one massive amount of information your looking for, but would be great to finally have in one place, instead of trawling the internet for snippets of information regarding your question. to give you an example of what I mean is this site, which only has a partial list of I.T.F ONLY, federations/associations: http://www.itf-administration.com/members/ . there is only 4 listed in Ireland, with our own association among them, but I know of 2 more, which is I.T.A( Irish taeKwon-Do Association) and R.I.T.A( Republic Of Ireland TaeKwon-Do) not listed there( and probably many more that I dont know of in Ireland alone) so you can see it gets pretty heavy when looking for them all and thats not even touching on W.T.F, G.T.F, RHEE TKD etc... Federation/organisations. I asked a similar question a while ago and the overall answers to it was like "looking for a needle in a haystack" . I'm on the same page as you with your way of thinking though and would love to see exactly how the I.T.F splintered and the same for the W.T.F into all the federations/associations there are out there currently!

michael mckenna likes this.
  4. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

Its a good idea, the best way to do it would be to start with the major organisations ITF/WTF/Kukkiwon/GTF/AIMAA/Rhee TKD etc etc and do them as they are the major schools in their specific region of the world. As this would still be a a massive amount of information, using pages from things like wikipedia to get basic info which members of the school could cross reference. Id be happy to help.

5. michael mckenna

i would like that sir thank you

Pat Thomson likes this.
  6. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

I could probably gather most of the history of Taekwondo in Australia as my HSC Physical Education paper was done on it.

7. michael mckenna

i can talk to my instructor and GTF scottish president allan cunningham for the GTF see if both of them could write something for it

Pat Thomson likes this.
  8. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

The Basic history of WTF/ITF should be relatively easy as both have books written about their history.

9. michael mckenna

yeh simple enough alex gillis book the killing art has both of the federations history in it

10. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Tom in that it would take a lot of time to write something like that. The information is definitely out there in places such as Wikipedia, though I reckon it would take a long time to write a comprehensive guide.

If anyone wants to write this, I am happy to link to it from the site.