advice...

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by dunedragger, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dunedragger

dunedragger New Member

45 years old and taking Taekwondo with my 22 yr old daughter. We love the sport and love competing in events, been at it since Feb and we both have our Orange belt and I have over 8 trophies from competitions. I have the power and she has the finesse. 5 board break with knife hand, no problem, 3 board turning side kick no problem. Anyway my flexibility on my spinning hook kicks can reach over 6 feet and I'm 5 11. However my roundhouse kicks can barely reach hip level? I stretch every day for 15-20 minutes but when I actually perform the kick my hip pops and its painful? Any advice?

2. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Sounds to me like the pivot on the foot and posture needs to be focused on, get your instructor to check out the movment closer for you.

Narcsarge likes this.
  3. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I agree with John

My two pennies worth ... I had a similar issue which had to do with me not pivoting my standing foot properly and not rotating it away from the direction of the kick which meant I wasn't rotating my hip correctly.
    In addition to pivoting/rotating the foot correctly (i.e. practicing the movement only but not kicking) I did two exercises
    1- Butterfly stretch - sit on the floor, back straight, foot sole's touching and pushing knees towards the floor while leaning forward
    2- On all fours, hands and knees shoulder width apart lift your feet towards the sky (knees and palms still on the floor). Touch your foot sole's together so essentially your feet are pointing inward if that makes sense? and start opening up your knees to wider than shoulder width. (Don't think I am doing a very good job of explaining, sorry)
    These exercises will help open up your hip and make that kick slightly easier.

UK-Student likes this.
  4. Narcsarge

Narcsarge New Member

Might be a good idea to see a sports medicine doctor just to make sure you don't have any hip issues. It may be as John states or it may be a muscular/skeletal issue as well. Remember too that the height of your kicks is related to the how high you can lift your knees. Make sure you are doing proper strengthening and stretching of your hip flexors and leg muscles.

5. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Roundhouse kick is the kick I have most flexibility issues with too, much more than side kick or spinning kicks. I really like ssiidd 's suggestions. They seem right on the money to me and I do both of these (only picked up the second one recently). I do a lot of exercises along the wall, holding onto a rail or windowsill so I can maintain my balance whilst pulling my legs into turning kick chamber and back and trying to raise the chamber.....I wonder if a second person helping me to raise the chamber would help too. I very much believe in low impact exercises that mimic the actual technique you are trying to do. A wide range of flexibility is hard but you can just focus on the positions you need for the kicks, I guess.

Anyway, I'm not an expert and if I was I wouldn't have my own problems with this.