Am I to old for Taekwondo?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by heinz, Aug 11, 2012.

1. heinz

heinz New Member

Im 19 years old and have never done any martial arts before. I love taekwondo, am I too old considering that Ive never done any martial arts before, isnt martial arts something you have to start with when youre a kid, like swimming. I dont want to just learn it, I want to become the best xD is it too late for that if I start at this age?

I know that most people start when theyre like 10 years old. Or even 5, is 19 too late?

2. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

what do you mean best? like... IN THE WORLD? then probably... However, if you want to be the best in the school, you could probably get there with hard work. In all seriousness 19 is not too late for anything.

3. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

Taekwondo is about life not about being the "best of the best" ;)
    19 years old lol your still at the beginning.

4. lynM

lynM Member

Um... Let's see, I started at age 36. Can't say I ever considered myself The Best, but I did win 1st place in a regional tournament for patterns once. But better than that was earning my Black Belt. If you like TKD, then work your best at TKD.

Plenty of people have started as adults.

Chasm likes this.
  5. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

I started when I was 38 :confused:
    Wish I started @ 19

Chasm likes this.
  6. heinz

heinz New Member

I dont mean the best, like the best of the best :p But I want to compete, so is it too late for me to start training and do good in competitions considering that I have to face opponents who started taekwondo when they were 10 years old and have over 10 years of experience more than me.

Im not in bad shape, I used to play football from since I was like 6 years old and stopped just recently.
    If I compare taekwondo to football I know that its 100% impossible to become better than just average in football if you start when youre 19 years old and you would have been no good at all compared to anyone who have played since they were kids.

7. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe New Member

I started at 43. I have always been an athelete and focussed and excelled at a number of sports starting at young ages. At 19, I thought I was too old to start Kung Fu. At 29 I thought I was too old for Karate. At 35 I thought I was too old for Taekwon Do. Then I had a baby. She grew up and started doing Taekwon Do at 7 and I was now 42. I realized.....I want to enjoy this experience with her and I want to accomplish something (Martial Arts) that I have always wanted to do before it was TOO LATE! Two years later and at 3rd gup....I am having the time of my life, my body has loosened up and is in much better shape than 10 years ago and I have won a couple regional competitions. I have never been happier with a sport. So NO...its definately not too late.

8. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Member

Your never to old to start. If memory servers me I started at 36 but at my age my memory is 50 / 50 (joking :)). 19 is a perfect age to start in fact I'm jealous....

9. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

Here's an honest response, from my perspective, making inferences on where you might want to be in terms of competition.

Competition, and what depths of competition can be rather broad. Do you want to dominate "local" competitions? Do you want to be good at the black belt level? or do you want to be good nationally or internationally? First you'd have to figure out what goals you want to set. True, many of the top fighters did start at a very young age, but starting young isn't always a recipe for success. I've seen MANY talented young kids flame out or just get bored of the sport in their teens.

If you want to be good at local/state competition even at the black belt level I don't see starting at 19 being a problem, unless you're in a state like Texas or California, where each of their tournaments is like a mini national tournament. If you want to be a player on the national level, then that might take a little more work, my suggestion would be to find the best competition coach you can afford which will train you 5-7 days a week. Regarding international competition, I don't offer advice that I cannot support. Most athletes peak around 25-26, so you still have alot of time, if you put in the volume of work necessary you could definitley fight with some of these guys out there, at least nationally.

Also think about it in this context, consider the average tkd studio, most kids will go 2-3 times a week for one hour. so that's 3 hours a week, and most of that time isn't spent sparring, it's filled with self-defense, forms, etc. Just because someone says they started when they were young doesn't mean it was under the pretenses of being an experienced fighter. So if you just "focus" on the sparring side, you could potentially catch up in no time. YOu'll be surprised at how many of these ELITE fighters started later in life, I knew a lot of 15 yo red belts who couldn't even do a basic form or self-defense techniques, but because all they did was spar and do sprints could wipe the floor with 90% of the black belts in the state.

I use to train with a U.S. team member that only started Taekwondo when he entered college. He created quite a respectable competition career despite starting late. But he was also an athlete, like you.

10. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin New Member

For sure ... at 19 you are WAY TO OLD to start learning ....

[​IMG]

Chasm, stefi, Debbie and 2 others like this.
  11. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

We have a third dan prepping for fourth dan who passed his first dan exam at 72.

To be the best. There are so many things you can be the best at in TKD.

You can be the best tournament fighter.
    You can be the best at forms.
    You can be the best at self defense.
    You can be the best instructor.
    You can be the best coach.

I assume you want to be one of the best tournament fighters. To answer your question, I have no clue if you can be the best. I am not familiar with your skill set.

That being said, if you are willing to put in the time, and it will take a ton of time and incredibly hard work, you can compete at a fairly high level.

I have always heard that men hit their ideal physical condition in their mid 20s. If you start now and practice hard you can be a black belt by then and who knows.

Hope this helps.

stefi and alan thompson like this.
  12. heinz

heinz New Member

Thank you for all the answers, I really appreciate it :)
    Its sparring that interests me though :)

13. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I started at 20. I think 19 is a great age to start as many people who start younger drift away from Taekwondo in their teens due to university, jobs etc. At 19 you should have the dedication to put all your energy into it.

stefi likes this.
  14. mojocat27

mojocat27 New Member

nope....I am 39 and I am just getting started lol : )

alan thompson likes this.
  15. Leonard

Leonard Member

I started at 10 years old for 6 years, then i restarted just this year and even though i have the roots behind me, i still feel like a beginner and have so much to learn, i'm 28 this month.
    So no, definitely it's never too late to start, you got your whole life ahead of you, 19 is a very young age to start any Martial Art.
    Good Luck.

16. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

You could start studying now and in 40 years become a senior master (8th Dan) then when you walk into an international seminar, everyone will turn and bow and think to themselves.....he is the best.
    In your own mind you'll always strive to be better...... nature of Martial art and life itself.
    To be the best, you have to beat the best.... Your biggest and strongest opponent stares back at you in the mirror

Karen tkd likes this.
  17. Peter

Peter New Member

I'm 39 and starting it almost from scratch, how about that? :)
    (I guess, not doing it for over 10 years qualifies almost as never did it before. :))

18. Archammes

Archammes New Member

Just started again at age 30, after training for six years (9-15) without ever attaining my black belt (our school would not allow anyone to test for 1st dan unless they were 18 or older). 15 years later, I'd basically forgotten all of my poomse, though all of my kicks/punches/blocks are just as crisp and strong. So I'm beginning the journey again after 15 years absence...and one of our members getting ready to take his 1st dan test is 71 years old.

19. Leonard

Leonard Member

It's amazing, you're never too old for martial arts :)

20. Peter

Peter New Member

You are never too old to live... :)

stefi likes this.