any info on steve superkick vick ?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by michael mckenna, Sep 12, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

ive seen his fights on youtube but i want to know his backround what style of tkd did he do how did he get into kickboxing what title in what federation did he hold ? thanks for any info anyone can give

2. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

If he posted the videos on youtube, did you ask the ???s there?

3. michael mckenna

i doubt he posted the videos himself

4. canadiankyosa

Could have been a friend or relative who did.

5. canadiankyosa

Where are they now?

Steve ‘Superkick’ Vick was one of the true pioneers of Australian kickboxing. He is best remembered for a fight he had two years before attaining his lifetime goal of a world title, on the undercard of the famous Dennis Alexio versus Stan Longinidis fight at the Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Center in 1992. Vick fought Hector Pena over 12 rounds. Many still believe it was the best kickboxing fight this country has ever seen.
    Vick attained world title status two years later, becoming ISKA Super-welterweight World Champion at the age of 24. He retired immediately after, disillusioned with kickboxing’s reputation as a thug sport and needing to move towards a career that would allow him to earn a living. He now lives in Brisbane and manages a large investment banking firm. Little-known but hugely inspirational, he was cast in the eighties kickboxing mold, long before Muay Thai became the dominant form. Vick’s style was a combination of super-flashy taekwondo kicks and sophisticated boxing skills. Relatively unknown to the younger generation of fight fans, Wayne Parr was so impressed, he was originally ‘Wonderkick’ Wayne Parr!
    Vick’s legacy is not forgotten. After some of his fights were uploaded to Youtube, one Sherdog blogger wrote, “Anyone that goes into the ring sporting the full-blown mullet, gold-sequined shorts and kicks that much arse deserves to be wellknown.”

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Superkick-Vick/193036327376147?ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/SuperkickVick/about

6. michael mckenna

i looked it up turns out it is him. found an interview he did explaining it all

7. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Whilst we're here, does anyone know what style of TKD Anthony Pettis practised?

It's hardly relevant to his success as you have to credit Duke Roufus with alot of the development of his stand-up skills in MMA but still it would be interesting to know as that's where he started his martial journey and it's still part of his style that he embraces.

8. michael mckenna

most ive heard is he is ITF but not sure

9. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

^ Lol. Tempted to think that an ITF guy started that rumour.......

Actually I just found out for myself (couldn't find any information back when I last searched for it). Now he's a champ again I guess he does more interviews or the interviews get more google hits or whatever.

http://martialarts.about.com/od/mmabiosiq/p/Biography-And-Profile-Of-Anthony-Pettis.htm

Really interesting and does pour a bit of water on those who would say that the ATA doesn't train anyone to be seriously good.

It's kind of good to know actually. It enhances the reputation of TKD as whole without giving either side of the pissing contest another weapon.

EDIT: Also, look after your Tiny Tigers, people. You might have a Pettis in there somewhere you is going to give you some credit in interviews.

10. michael mckenna

its good that tkd is in the UFC thats pettis, ben henderson and silva who all do tkd that have been in the ufc. what do you think of tkd being more of a ring sport like muay thai and savate ? with full contact rules. if i become succesfull in full contact im gonna start a gym for ring taekwondo for full contact and maybe start something up in scotland. thailand has muay thai, france has savate, scotland could do ring sport taekwondo instead of the normal semi contact competitions. you can only go so far with semi contact as semi contact in my opinion is amateur competition and full contact is pro

UK-Student likes this.