Anyone added any weapons to the forms?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Paul Crawte, May 14, 2012.

1. Paul Crawte

Paul Crawte New Member

I was mucking about with tonfa a couple of weeks ago and tried adding them to some patterns. I'd played with this a few years ago but got side tracked.

Quite fun and a bit interesting. I was wondering if anyone else has done the same sort of thing? I was wondering if combining sai, or perhaps a pair of short staff or escrima sized sticks might be of interest.

2. Harry Lamlin

Harry Lamlin New Member

Sorry, but this reply is a bit off topic. While I haven't adapted my sai to any TKD form I was practicing with them a bit recently. Now, I've put them aside and have taken to working out with a katana. I don't know how others feel about using forms from different styles but I have been trying to learn a KSW sword form. Since I don't know exactly if I'm doing all the cuts/moves correctly I can only assume that it is going well. It may not be as polished as a Kuk Sool practitioner, but as far as being a TKD practitioner, I'm quite happy with how it is coming along.

3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I've never used weapons in my life other than some basic techniques with a fake knife. I'd love to try it though. Looks like lots of fun :)

4. GizmoDuck1833

GizmoDuck1833 New Member

Any weapon can be adapted to any form, that was one of the first thing i learned in okinawan kobudo. the trick is figuring out what moves and stikes with the weapon could be substituted for the empty-handed movements.

5. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

My friend has adapted the bo to Chon-Ji, Won-Hyo, and Yul-Gok.

6. Daniel Sullivan

Daniel Sullivan New Member

The last school that I trained, they initially had no weapons in the taekwondo curriculum. They grafted on some staff and nunchuku forms later. The staff forms were a nice enrichment. The nunchuku was pointless. At the time that they were added, I was a third dan in kendo, so I already was getting my weapons fix.

7. Leighton

Leighton Member

A friend of mine lent me his Sai and I have been trying to adapt these into some sort of routine for public demonstrations with the Air force. As a start I have adapted them to Chon Ji, but to try and make it a bit more interesting i have tried to adapt Kwang Gae, which has been fun