Application for Spreading block?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by FlamingJulian, Sep 23, 2016.

1. FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian New Member

Do you guys know any real life application for the spreading block. It's the block in Taegeuk Chil Jang

2. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Do you mean this one?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Yes.

It's actually a wedging / separating block.

It has many applications.

FlamingJulian likes this.
  4. FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian New Member

Thanks. My Master calls it Wedging block or spreading block.

-Julian

5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

One application is to open a grab lock on your shoulder, I hope you understand without a picture. So when your opponent grabs your shoulders (or upper arms), you cross your lower arms then spread it strongly to open the grabbing arms.

6. Gnarlie

I find the technique way more practical when applied to the neck and arm from a 45 degree angle versus a swinging punch, for example. You can see this as a common defense in Krav.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oerjan likes this.
  7. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

The technique can also be used on an attempted neck or shoulder grab, to block two simultaneous punches or to block an attempted bear hug from behind.

8. tubby

tubby New Member

I've always thought it to be done fast to make just enough room from someone grabbing you by the top of the shoulders to grab a head clinch.
    as with bear hugs, you don't have to fight with strength to make enough wiggle room for an elbow, just a snappy move to make enough space.

9. Matt

Matt Member

Allow me to add some input. This block does not, I repeat DOES NOT work once an attackers hands have grabbed you. This block wedging or spreading block is mostly used against a person trying to grab the lapel of your shirt, your shoulders or your neck. The best application of this technique is a stepping backwards motion while executing the block, as your forearms make contact with the attackers arms you should open and grab sliding to the wrist of the attacker. This will allow you control and from there you may stop or you can execute a front kick to the groin of the attacker while releasing with one hand to strike. This block only works if the hands are on your IF you are significantly bigger and stronger than your attacker, but how often does that happen? If you are attacked from the front the attacker is most likely bigger than you and you will need to execute the block before the hands touch you and grab hold.

10. Gnarlie

I can make it work after a grab with a resisting opponent. Depends what and how you hit.

Oerjan likes this.
  11. Matt

Matt Member

I would love to understand how you execute this block once someones hands are on you if they are easily twice maybe three times your size.

12. Matt

Matt Member

that may have sounded arrogant and I didn't mean it to, my deepest apologizes. I only ask out of curiosity because I have never heard of the block being used once the hands have grabbed you.

13. Gnarlie

No problem. The efficacy of this block depends very much on how you chamber and the path of the block. It is also critical to hit the right place on the opponent's arms. That's where the biceps become tendon rather than muscle, with some vector of force moving outward and some toward the opponent.

The intent of the block is not necessarily to make the opponent let go; rather to clear space like a wedge to allow access to the head and bend the opponent's arms to allow joint manipulation.

It also works as you describe it, to clear space before being grabbed.

Oerjan likes this.
  14. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

I was going to suggest that the exact same app, but see you've beaten me to it:)