Applied Basics

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Gnarlie, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Thoughts?

Ivor likes this.
  3. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Enjoyed that especially because that's what we have been doing this week. Need to download the video and play it back slowly.

RR

4. akisbat

akisbat Member

fantastic !

5. Gnarlie

I think it shows how Taekwondo can be applied when one understands the basic principles. I would like to have seen the drills repeated with more resistance from the opponent, for example a more focused punch and maybe an attempt at a follow up.

I note that everything happens inside kicking range and kicking is used last, to finish.

These are mostly movements from the Taegeuk series and black belt Poomsae.

But obviously, as we all know, Taekwondo is just a sport and is all kicking. Ahem.

6. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Well I was talking to my instructor last night, and told him about the video. After watching it he announced that he wanted me to take the class and show them some of the applications. Yeah teach me to keep my mouth shut, showing every one from white belts to a 6 th Dan. He wants me to do some more next week.

RR

Ivor likes this.
  7. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Our highest grade in the club is a few years older than me, when we spar we always punch as well, both of us are "old school" but when we spar with the younger members, they find it hard to cope with punches. last week my little one, 7 was sparring and the first thing he attacks with is a few punches, the instructor came over to me smiling and said "well I can tell who is giving him some extra training" I know its hard to score in competitions using punches, but even if it does not score a good couple of punches are a great set up.

RR

8. akisbat

akisbat Member

Remember what "Kwon" means !

9. Gnarlie

It is hard to tell what Kwon really means in Taekwondo because no case is indicated in the component verb forms. It could mean the way to experience existence through smashing with the foot and the fist. It could also mean the way of existing by stamping on the use of the fist. Maybe that's why some people don't punch so often and why our tenets and oaths lean heavily towards peaceful temperament.

It could be a means to spreading peace through self discovery.

It is open to interpretation.

10. Gnarlie

It gets really interesting if you look at the meanings of the original Hanja.

11. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

so of it is OK but there is no attempt to control the other gy, or at least very little.

I second Gnarlie i would like to see these against some one resisting those techniques.

Not a fan of the pushes against the knee

12. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Just watched it again, he really needs a better 'attacker' for this to have and worth at all

13. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

the more i watch this the less i like it.

TBH, it is really just a form of one step, with a very weak attack then the guy being allowed to do whatever he wants

14. Dusty

Dusty New Member

While it isn't necessarily practical to rely on poomsae techniques alone, it shows how the traditional form can be adapted to real combat. I'd say he'd be handy enough in a fight!!

What would be better would be to watch a "realistic" controlled attacker be dealt with by an experienced black belt on video, then try to pick out where the Taekwondo techniques are applicable.

I was once told that arm locks are more prevalant in TKD in Korea than what is taught here in the UK but I do try to incorporate a good amount of honsinsul into our regular classes.

15. Gnarlie

How prevalent armlocks are depends on who you learn from, both in the UK and in Korea. Specifically what kind of influence Hapkido and other Korean martial arts had on their lineage pre Kwan unification, and what has been added in since. People pick this stuff up at seminars and roll it into their repertoire.

16. Gnarlie

I agree, and the enthusiastic way people are reacting to this stuff online really shows how little the application of Taekwondo is understood.

These videos, like one step, are intended to illustrate potential direct application of Taekwondo / poomsae movements. They are not a fight or a self defence scenario.

I go back to my usual stance that it is principles, not techniques that should be applied.

That said, Lee Dong Hee is a very competent martial artist and there is no doubt at all in my mind that he can apply principles to overcome an opponent, be it sport or otherwise.

17. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I like this video. I wouldn't take it as gospel of any of that working in real time with 100% resisting aggressive opponent, but it was a fun video for what it is worth.

18. Dracomortes

Dracomortes New Member

These one step type drills may not be the most realistic for self defence, but even though they are hated on quite a lot I will vouch for them. We used to do them almost every class in karate and even though the attacks are unrealistic and there is no resistance, I deduced that the point of them was improvement of the natural reflexes when seeing an attack and making fast counters more habitual. They were also quite fun to do and we used to have a class once every few months specifically dedicated to self defence applications where every student would get the opportunity to display any one-step self defence application. These drills did help me when it came to sparring, to learn how to react to a strike by either blocking or countering, which is not always natural human instinct. If something unexpected comes your way you tend to either shy away from it or just cover yourself where you think the blow will land, which is just begging to be hit by a well disguised kick or punch. One step drills helped me to develop instinctual blocking which is a skill that is handy in everyday life and especially in self defence scenarios.
    The drills in this video are a bit half hearted from the attacker's point of view though. In my school we used to be far less forgiving. The attacker would literally try to hit you in the face with a reverse punch at full power and you would have to be wide awake to try and block it in time.

Ivor likes this.