Applied ITF patterns

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by Finlay, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I have my own view on this, but interested to hear what others think

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I think it is an interesting way to present ideas, but I also think it shows some fundamental misunderstandings regarding what happens when principles from forms are applied. I'm not an ITF guy but even so...it's indicative of a disconnect between how people understand forms and how they understand self defence and combat.

4. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I couldn't agree more. The application that are shown come directly from the encyclopaedia of taekwondo.

I think ITF taekwondo has it shotokan roots to thank for the current mainstream applications of the patterns.

There are a few of us that are looking in to the movements and researching alternative applications but I think we are still very much in the minority.

That being said it is an interesting way of presenting the applications

5. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

As a quick aside, some of his movements are not strictly correct

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Though also not an ITF guy, this is how I was taught about patterns. Would be interesting if there's a WTF counterpart of this video because if it exists, I won't be the only one taught by this "self defense / applicative mode" of patterns.

7. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I see very little real world applicability in most of those interpretations (despite what Finlay being true, that they are from the Encyclopedia).

I do like the scooping of the kick counters though.

8. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I completely agree. The application are 'art' at best and often very contrived. So many practioners in the world see it as unthinkable that you would say they really unworkable. However the truth is that even the people that preach (not teach) those application can't apply them.

9. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Some people will take the accusation of many "applications" being art rather than martial as an insult, but that's more from their own insecurity. Just because we might say "these aren't practical for fighting/self defense etc etc" doesn't mean we don't appreciate them for other uses. Uses like developing certain timings, distances, or just for maintaining the history of the artistic sides (like you mentioned).

10. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

Textbook applications are a tool to help you understand distance angle and direction. As such this is a nice illustration. General Choi acknowledged that techniques will be modified for combat. Learning how to move well is important. Powerful, Balanced, efficient etc. Think Karate Kid 1 "Wax on Wax Off" Taught him how to move and then taught some of the ways to appy the motions.

11. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

FinlayActive Member
    As a quick aside, some of his movements are not strictly correct

Specifics please?

12. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

My apologies I looked again and couldn't find the technical mistakes I mentioned.

I see to rebel thinking that the punches were incorrect but can't see it now

Must have been having an off day