Applying Techniques

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Keigo, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Keigo

Keigo Member

Hi everyone!

I recently decided to start doing some competitive WTF sparring, but unfortunately, I'm still quite green despite being a brown belt. I signed up for a competition in July, so I'm really hoping to get better at it by then.

I had my instructor assess me the other day, and my basic footwork and kicks are quite alright, but I need to work on applying them during sparring. I have no problem applying the techniques on kicking pads, but its just so difficult during sparring.

I like to analyse the fights afterwards and come up with all these wonderful ideas to try out next time, but when next time comes around, even though I know what I should be doing, my mind seems to forget everything and goes blank. I end up feeling lost and unsure of what to do when the other guy kicks at me.

This is embarassing to admit, but even a 12 year old green belt was catching on to me faster than I could. How do you guys keep a clear mind in the midst of all that action going on?

2. lynM

lynM Member

Couple of things I have done - 1) decide ahead of time if I am going to attack first or wait to see what the other guy does. Know ing what you want to do might help youto make the move. 2) have a combination in mind you want to try and make that happen. Work on something you have a strength in.

3. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Lol - we are exactly the same person.

I think that about one day in five I feel like I can actually do any of the things I planned to do. When I started tkd it was probably one in twenty so actually that's probably not bad for someone like me. As mentioned in other posts, I have a real right leg bias so often when I freeze, it's because I'm in the middle of a position where the best thing to do would be to use my left leg but the impulses don't come to me quick enough.

Sorry for not having any actual advice!

Ivor likes this.
  4. Keigo

Keigo Member

That's it! There were alot of times where the other guy was just too close to me, and I should've thrown a punch or a side kick, but I just kept trying to land turning kicks like a nab... Going from 1/20 to 1/5 is a big improvement, would you say it was from sparring more often?

lynM, after thinking through your reply, I realised my problem isnt so much with that first decision of whether to attack or wait, but further down the line when the other guy kicks. I'm more passive and tend to lean more towards countering, so it's more of a 'What do I do? Should I counter now? Should I wait? Is he going to throw more kicks?' Usually by the time I notice that the guy is open, and decide how to counter, I would've lost the chance, makes my instructors want to pull their hair out :D

Reading what I just typed, it seems like I'm quite indecisive, and it certainly doesnt help that I'm a slow thinker too. Can I ask if you come up with different counter-attack 'tactics' for different situations as well? I definitely need to work on more combinations, right now I'm only doing turning kicks, and the occasional back thrust (if/when I remember....)

UK-Student likes this.
  5. Leighton

Leighton Member

One suggestion could be try to stay relaxed. Easier said than done i know but when you are relaxed you will find the body moves quicker. Another thing could be spar as many people as often as you can and practise what you know until its second nature. Also don't be afraid to try things in training, its better to get lose whilst learning so you won't make the same mistakes in the tournament.
    I hope this makes some sense and helps

6. Keigo

Keigo Member

Went for a couple of sparring classes over the weekend, and it felt much better. I actually managed to apply one of the techniques we learned during our drills, and scored yay! :D I think it was much better this time as I was partnered with someone who wasnt overly aggressive, so it gave me time to think lol

UK-Student likes this.
  7. Ivor

Ivor Member

I would say its probably a lack of sparring in general, its certainly the case for me - i used to be very good, but now my students are giving me a hard time!
    if you've got a friend you can work with outside of classes try some light sparring with them - go for non contact or else touch contact (i mean touch!) this helps you to get the fluidity up whilst not having to worry about getting thumped, also try LynM's ideas which will be a big help, you will then find that the sparring in class will improve as you will become quicker to react to openings.