Are you interested in watching TKD in the Olympics this year?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by John Hulslander, Aug 6, 2016.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

And are there any particular athletes that you want to watch.

As a good old fashioned 'merican I want to watch Steve Lambdin and Paige McPhereson.
    I also love watching Servet Tazegul work.

I also really would like to see Cook vs Muhammad. They are not friends to be sure.

I really hope they can control or eliminate much of the foot fencing, but am dubious.

Here's to a good games.

2. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

Yes but I dont I only have free tv and In Australia they never show any TKD :/ I would need Foxtel to watch it.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I don't know much about the athletes, probably only Lee Dae Hoon, which is an effective athlete. His play is not so pleasurable to watch, but his "the hell with beauty, I'm here to win" strategy is sometimes surprising, as he often wins in injury time or sudden death.

5. tubby

tubby New Member

Here's to a good games.[/QUOTE]

channel 7 has 3 channels to fill overnight, I think there's a decent chance we'll see Safwan Khalil's bouts, but not a lot more. which means you'll need to record and search through 20 hours for maybe 15 minutes of coverage.
    Was much better last time when foxtel had several channels

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yeah, but pretty sure I will switch it off within 3 minutes.

7. Gnarlie

I'm intrigued to see what effect the upward adjustment of the pressure required to activate the body and head sensors will have. The fact that this announcement was shared relatively late between Olympics will have had an effect regarding which countries are better prepared.

The stop kick hopefully won't be as effective as it has been in previous years, so we should see a bit more action as defensive play no longer carries such a heavy advantage.

I expect that the players will find some other way to exploit the technology though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

They already implemented that rule once, with the opposite effect. I suggest dropping the sensors and get back to real fighting. More brute force, less foot tag. WTF in the 90s was more than watchable.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. Gnarlie

No, they didn't. The technology is new and is having its public debut at the games.

I'm sure they will take your suggestion on board given your high profile in the Taekwondo world.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

They did with the introduction of the first sensors, that you needed to kick a certainl level to get a point, had no effect. The only difference here is that the level is increased, as far as I understand. My opinion doesn't mean anything for their ultimate decision, nor does yours. No need for that attitude.

11. Gnarlie

As I said, the technology has been updated.

So no, it hasn't been used before, and it is not a rule change. The rules remain the same, only the technology has changed to drive more aggressive play.

That your opinion means little is the point I was making. What kind of position are you in to 'suggest' anything?

I haven't actually expressed an opinion other than to say I'm intrigued to see the outcome. The rest of what I've stated here is fact taken from the WTF press releases. So you feel free to argue with yourself.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I suggest, since people within the WTF are themselves dissatisifed with the status quo. They would most likely never go back to the old days, though. But that's the easiest way. The argument against it is dubious judging decisions, but one can simply opt for playbacks and solve it that way.

13. Gnarlie

And lose any continuity that the match has, along with inviting corruption in judging and meaning another huge set of changes for athletes and audiences. It is by no means an easier way. The technology is improving all the time, along with simpler and clearer scoring definitions allowing greater match continuity and rewarding aggressive strategy.

Suggest is not the right word. You might like to see it, and it might be your opinion, but you're not in a position to suggest or recommend anything. Maybe if you combined it with a 'would'.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yes, because corruption is widespread in TKD... It is the easiest way to make it viewer friendly again. These sensors have clearly annihilated the combat aspect of the sport, to which there is no return. There is no indication that elevated levels would improve the situation. Do you happen to know the degree of elevation? Is it even substantial?

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You wrote yourself that the players will find a way to exploit the technology. Which basically means full circle in this problem of combativeness.

16. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Well this discussion has devolved quickly.

Personally I think that electronic scoring can be tweaked and we can get better overall performance.

One of the issues with the "old way" in my opinion was not so much at the international level as it was at the lower levels of tournaments. Specifically that judges at these levels either were not able to score matches fairly or worse yet that they chose not to. While electonic scoring systems cannot be influenced by biases the way they are set up is often open to gaming.

So a thought.

Why not go for a blended type solution. Have the electonic scoring, but make a point available per round to the fighter that in the judges opinion best demonstrates the martial spirit.

This is just my two cents worth.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Martial art spirit would have to be clearly defined, but sure, I like it!

18. Mario Ray Mahardhika

I wish WTF approves 20/20 armor already, but it looks like it's still a long way to go. The less human judge, the better. The increased minimum requirement will certainly be better, no more light touch to score. With the improvements to head guards, I hope we're not going backwards by causing a lot of bloody head again.

19. Gnarlie

I think approval of 20/20 will be a while - there are some questions to answer regarding how the safety of participants can be controlled. This has been one of the main drivers behind body and head protection, and the 20/20 system as it is could potentially encourage extreme levels of contact at the expense of safety. I like that the monkey kick would be potentially eliminated though. I think a balance needs to be found.

20. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Yes, indeed. I hope the dev team already has answer for that to convince WTF.