Are you interested in watching TKD in the Olympics this year?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by John Hulslander, Aug 6, 2016.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

If our club had a bit more money I would be in on this kickstarter and purchase a pair of Hogu's.
    Just to see how well it works.

Wearable tech is a wave of technology that I hope is subject to Moore's Law and if so, 2-3 Olympics from now we will see drastic improvements over the current Daedo Hogus.

I would think it is possible so much so that the competitor does not have to wear a hogu to fight (which is ideal IMO, but that's another suggestion for another day)

2. John Hulslander

I would let it be somewhat vague intentionally, but give broad guidelines. Something like the more aggressive fighter that demonstrates superior technique or skill.

But they have not and will not ask my opinion.

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I feel the same way. Though the price has gone lower (was $799, is $598, for a pair because buying just one is useless), it's still too expensive for our little club.

4. tubby

tubby New Member

20/20 is the right sort of idea, but its not cheap at US$600 a pair, and I have questions on the longevity of it. Also sizing - is one pair enough to cover needs or do you need to buy several different sizes which adds up fast.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Perhaps a more effective way is harsher penalties for passitivity - even when ahead on points. That is to say point deduction.The rules you propose have very little bearing on superior fighters in a match, who are up many points. The problem also existed in the 90s you know.. The leader bounced around for 1 minute (!) to convert the point advantage.

6. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

And judge it how? Way too subjective in a sport that needs to remove the human element of judging as far as possible in order to maintain integrity.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The subjective element would raise the combativeness. The fighters would really need to prove their superiority beyond reasonable doubt, knowing full well that judges can't be trusted 100%

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. tubby

tubby New Member

have we seen enough of the smaller octagon to see how that is working to reduce running away?

9. Gnarlie

The sport can't afford any judging controversy if it is to retain Olympic status.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. Gnarlie

There are definitely more clashes - it's difficult to retreat or circle out without getting a half point deduction for crossing the alert line. It's encouraging more stop hit techniques and forward play.

11. tubby

tubby New Member

Based on the first few matches the tech has got worse if anything. Ridiculously soft head contact os scoring regularly so totally discouraging attacks. Very disappointed so far

12. Gnarlie

The front leg cut kick is not scoring so much.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Where can I watch them in replay?

14. Matt

Matt Member

I don't believe you can say the "new" way is better or worse then the "old" way. It is just different. Period end of story. Now you may like it, or you may not. Personally I like the old days when body kicks were all one point and head kicks were two and punches that stopped or moved the opponent were also one. That doesn't mean I don't like all the new changes however. It has changed the game of sparring completely and how years ago you could say it favored the shorter stockier fighter now it favors the tall and lanky fighters. It has also completely changed the style of fighting. For example the lead leg side kick or cut kick. For years and years and years the most common kick seen in TKD fighting was a right leg round house kick, that is no longer the case. The sport aspect of the martial art has evolved over the years to make it more appealing to viewers. Hence the reason for more points (especially to the head) as well as smaller rings and less and less interruption of the officials.

Now to go back to the original question. I love watching all members of the US team fight. I also enjoy watching the Iran team fight. There is a fighter from the Ivory Coast who has a unique sparring strategy that my master saw him using at a Georgia qualifier and I can not wait to see him use that strategy. Overall I enjoy watching TKD at the olympics, and we can't change the rules so we have to learn to respect them.

15. John Hulslander

So far what I have seen is better than 2012.
    Refs are taking control of the fights and pushing the action.
    The smaller rings have the fighters more active.

Don't think I have seen a punch scored yet.
    Some of the head shot points seem awfully light, but the tech there is still young.

Good crowds today.

Technical note... watching via NBC sports app on my Roku in the US.

16. Gnarlie

I've seen quite a few punches score.

I think a lot of long time Taekwondoin are having difficulty coming to terms with the fact that Olympic sparring is a game based on a martial art, and not the martial art itself.

Lot of griping about light head contact and harking back to glory days on Facebook. But it is and always has been a game based on a martial art.

New technology and rules have made the game safer for participants and continue to make the game more spectacular for audiences outside of the relatively narrow martial arts scene.

I'm pleased that the lighter body kicks and cut kicks aren't scoring so easily. But the athletes seem to be having trouble changing their style to accommodate that.

17. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

It's a progress then, which is good. No worries, they will manage to do it eventually. Probably in the next world championship they will already be used to it. Soft head contact needs attention if that still scores, but safety needs to be concerned as well (it's head that gets kicked, one of the most vital organ) and should be a priority. The current head guard is actually good enough in the sense that it bounces a lot of power thus absorbing only a fractional amount of it. But as long as we see those who fainted from head kicks, there's still a homework to do.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Isn't that how it used to be in the 90s? I don't think I've ever seen a punch thrown in those oldies clip, and for a moment thought that only kicks were allowed originally in WTF.

19. Gnarlie

It was harder to score with a punch back then because there were some stringent criteria the punch had to meet to score. Straight arm at contact, front knuckles only, and must displace the opponent. The e-protectors have made it easier as those criteria no longer apply, it just has to have enough force when the front knuckle sensor meets the vest.

20. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

I didn't realize channel 7 in Australia had all the rights to it and they only showed a bit and it was impossible to know when they would show it.

Watched a bit from youtube and NBC