Are you looking forward to Taekwondo at the London Olympics?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Kevin, May 6, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Although I'm not living in the UK at the moment, I still read UK news websites every week. I've noticed that Taekwondo has been in the news more, probably because it will feature at the Olympics this Summer in London.

Was curious as to whether everyone here will be tuning in?

For those who are, the BBC have a simple guide which illustrates how points are awarded in the tournament.

[​IMG]

Points are earned by landing blows on the opponent.
    Four judges award and deduct points by pressing buttons. At least two judges must award a point for it to register.
    A blow to the torso with the hand or foot earns one point.
    A kick to the neck or head earns two points.
    Knocking the opponent down earns three points.
    If a fighter reaches 12 points or gets seven points ahead he or shewins the match.
    Points are deducted for fouls such as hitting below the belt, hitting the back and hitting behind the head.

Also, does anyone here follow Taekwondo on TV. Who should we be looking out for this Summer? Aaron Cook just defended his European title so I assume he's going to be one of the top contenders ion the 80kg group.
    :)
    Kevin

2. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

Thanks for the points guide :)

3. Paul Crawte

Paul Crawte New Member

My boy and I will be going along. Really looking forward to it!

4. Mick King

Mick King Member

Hi Kevin the rules have changed a bit, spinning kick to the body (back kick etc)2 points 3 points to the head.

[​IMG]

Points are earned by landing blows on the opponent.
    Four judges award and deduct points by pressing buttons. At least two judges must award a point for it to register.
    A blow to the torso with the hand or foot earns one point.
    A kick to the neck or head earns two points.
    Knocking the opponent down earns three points.
    If a fighter reaches 12 points or gets seven points ahead he or shewins the match.
    Points are deducted for fouls such as hitting below the belt, hitting the back and hitting behind the head.

Also, does anyone here follow Taekwondo on TV. Who should we be looking out for this Summer? Aaron Cook just defended his European title so I assume he's going to be one of the top contenders ion the 80kg group.
    :)
    Kevin[/quote]

5. Kevin

Don't thank me, thank the BBC haha :)

That's great. Would love to see some pictures from the event when you get back from it. I'm sure it will be amazing watching it live.

Right. I assume that's to encourage more exciting fights .

6. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

Yes, I look foreward to seeing the matches. I know the only US official (International Referee) to be selected to officiate at the games. I trained under him for years. Did you know that TKD may be out of the games after this Olympic's?

7. Kevin

No I didn't know that. Why might it be removed?

8. Master Fahy

Being a new sport, TaeKwonDo has not seen the same level of audience as some more established sports. That coupled with what some call confusing or inconsistent rules threaten to have the sport dropped from future Olympics. The sport will be one of those that will be voted on to stay or be removed from the Olympic games after this years games by the I.O.C.

9. Mick King

Mick King Member

Taekwondo will be in the 2016 Oylmpics in Brazil. After the London olympics they will decide on all of the events not just Taekwondo, the WTF has over 200 nations affilated now and is one of the largest sports associations in the world, it has met all the Oylmpic demands for safety and Video replay for the scoring resulting in no complaints at the European championships in Gt Britain a couple of weeks ago. WTF Taekwondo is the largest martial art in the world it is not likely another martial art could take it's place.

lorraine likes this.
  10. Master Fahy

They removed Baseball and Softball already! I hope that they keep TKD! We will just have to wait and see.

11. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

The incident at the last Olympics where the competitor kicked the referee isn't helping the TKD cause. That and the low scoring, seemingly boring matches are not helping either.

12. Mick King

Mick King Member

The only countries that objected to Taekwondo going in to the olympics were North Korea and Cuba thats where that competitor was from and he got a life ban. You cannot blame the whole of WTF for one persons behaviour and all sports have had worse things, drugs etc for athletics. Anyway got my front row tickets today for the mens finals.

13. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Mick,

It doesn't matter what I think, the attack on the judge was not the sort of thing that will maintain interest.

That being said, I have three of my first dans who will be in London during the Olympics. I have offered to help them out with the cost of tickets if they go. I just ask that they get the Lopez family to visit our dojang. (insert smiley face icon here)

The only tickets available now are for the early rounds, (lower weight fighters) still I think it would be awesome of them to be able to go.

I will have an offer to all my black belts to come over and watch events live if possible, dvr'd if not.

14. Mick King

Mick King Member

I will be in the front row with my group for the -80s and Sarah Stevenson's group on the Friday evening if any of your people are there and can find us come and say hello, as we get nearer maybe I can find out where exactly we are.

15. Paul Crawte

Paul Crawte New Member

I think my boy and I are going for that too Mick. No tickets yet though!

16. DollyTKD

DollyTKD New Member

I'd love to go to watch but tickets for the Olympic Games are just overpriced. Where do yo0u check tickets? A friend of mine told me that her club has special discount for members but I'm not part of any club yet so can't benefit from that. :(

17. Mick King

Mick King Member

I am part of British Taekwondo I have recieved no discounts. There are still tickets for sale good luck remember it's only in G.B. once in our lifetime splash out and have a good time

18. Master Fahy

I don't know what the price of a ticket is now for the TKD events in the Olympics but I do remember that when TKD was a demo sport in the Seoul,South Korea games in 88, I only paid $5 USD for the day! Times have changed! Master Fahy

19. DollyTKD

DollyTKD New Member

It's around £100 per round so around £300 per day/category + flight and accommodation as I'm from Ireland.

20. DollyTKD

DollyTKD New Member

I am still checking for tickets, have to decide which category to go for as I can not afford to go for the 4 days.