Are you taught to thrust or snap your front kicks in basics?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: limitations belong to people not arts.

80 million practitioners is a lot of instructors. I'd say all of them believe in what they do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

If you look at my instructors SD demo, characteristic TKD techniques are notoriously absent. Not a single side or roundhouse kick, or punch, etc. Mostly grappling lifted from Jujitsu, and some Judo. Also "anti-TKD" techniques even, like leg grabs. His stance is not TKD either, more kung fu esque.

3. Gnarlie

Not sure what your point is. That all sounds like TKD to me.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yes it is, but it's not characteristic Taekwondo stuff. You can learn that more extensively and in-depth in jujitsu classes. If an instructor believe in his art, he would likely display moves typical of that art, instead of obscure techniques borrowed from other arts, that are not emphasised in training. There could of course be other reason why he refrained from a striking display. All I'm saying is that based on the demo on youtube, there is no indication that my instructor believes in the heart and soul of Taekwondo which is striking. But hey, I have been wrong before.

5. Gnarlie

That's just it, those methods are not borrowed; they belong to hoshinsul, which is an integral part of the art. Typically hoshinsul deals with close range work rather than long range, which is why hoshinsul striking is not what you might perceive as typical beginner level Taekwondo technique. Just because the hoshinsul element is not emphasised at some schools, doesn't mean it is not there.

If you base all of your understanding of something on what you manage to dig up on Youtube, it's small wonder that you are frequently wrong.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I base it on my own training. There are KKW school that neglect joint manipulation and throws alltogether. According to the KKW instructor on Sherdog, it is not a mandatory part of the KKW curriculum either.

7. Gnarlie

Just as there are schools that focus mainly on sport sparring, hoshinsul, or demo, or poomsae.

If you read it on Sherdog it must be true then. The KKW textbook sets out the minimum technical standard for gradings. This has to include elements of sparring, poomsae and breaking. Elements beyond that can be added at the examiner's preference. However, the textbook also covers a great deal more than the minimum standard for gradings, including hoshinsul and weapon work. So the curriculum includes it, making it a part of tge art, but not every examiner chooses to include it in gradings; why would they if it is not their focus area? However, a large proportion of dan gradings for non-elite taekwondo include hoshinsul, especially those in Europe.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

And yet you claimed it's an integral part of the art. Clearly not.

9. Gnarlie

If it's in the textbook, it's integral to the art. Guess what? It's in the textbook.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Ehm, no. If it's not mandatory in gradings, it's not integral.

11. Gnarlie

Says you. The KKW textbook IS the curriculum. I think they know better than you, and I do too, seeing as you don't even train KKW and haven't enough experience of it even to understand a punch by the look of your other thread.

12. Gnarlie

It IS mandatory in most gradings in Europe, certainly under any of the KKW NGB's.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

This has nothing to do with me. I never said it wasn't part of the KKW curriculum, I just said it wasn't an integral part of it.

14. Gnarlie

Your arbitrary definition of integral, your problem.

Try even a Keup grading at any school in Europe affiliated to an NGB or with a strong link to KKW and the University circuit, and you'll find that they include hoshinsul as an INTEGRAL and MANDATORY part of the grading.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Fine. You already know my retort to that revisionist statement so let's just leave it at that. I do know that a TaeKwondo club in my country was on a training camp with a Judo affiliation, so that tells me that this particular TKD club definately had quite a bit of throwing beyond normal. Needless to say, the TaeKwondo club fared poorly according to the Judokas account, but it was interesting nonetheless to hear about. I was immensenly disappointed to learn neither one of my TKD club did any throwing, period.

16. Gnarlie

Nothing to do with revisionism. Just the truth, which as always is less black/white than you want to make it.

And yet you stayed. More fool you.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Taekwondo exists outside of Europe. You wrote Taekwondo.

18. Gnarlie

Yes it does. It's difficult to comment on Taekwondo outside Europe as I haven't been a member of any NGB outside of Europe. Unlike you, I don't generalise.

It is perhaps reasonable to assume that other NGBs include hoshinsul as part of their grading structure.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I have corresponded with a non European KKW instructor on Sherdog mixed martial arts forum and that was what he told me. He was anonymous on the forum but apparently very merited, even being involved with the Olympic teams.

20. Gnarlie

Then he is very likely a sport focused intructor with little exposure to the martial art. I don't see what part of this you don't understand.