Axis and CoG

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by ssiidd, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Axis rotation and centre of Gravity plays a huge role when executing kicks etc. I have been lately reading up on how one can improve 'stability'. One obvious answer is by practicing techniques over and over again but there are other exercises one could do to complement training. I found this link which seems useful http://www.livestrong.com/article/551760-what-helps-strengthen-your-center-of-gravity/

Are there any particular exercises you do (or get your students to perform) to help improve stability? Especially when executing jump techniques?

Gnarlie likes this.
  2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I have a few exercises for this, but the most important thing to concentrate on is that the COG only moves in one plane, i.e. it describes a path that could be illustrated easily on a sheet of paper. If it moves in more than one plane, for example in a spiral, things go very wrong.

ssiidd likes this.
  3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Many sites speak of "core". I do not disagree with the concept except on one issue always failed to be mentioned. Your core is implied to be you abdomen, lower back, and obliques. The area that is never mentioned is that the actual core comes down to the spinal column and the central line from the head down through the groin. This is the most important part of a core, I think, and most "experts" fail to mention. The other one that the article fails to mention is that stability comes from the "level" in your brain and that needs to be trained, too. Combine that with leg, abdomen, and ankle strengthening....

4. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, dont get sucked into unstable surface training :p Its FotM right now, but completely useless.

5. Gnarlie

Ladder and footwork drills for agility focusing on moving the COG. Most people just focus on the feet and don't move the COG as much as they should.

Jumping and spinning: focus on one foot jumping using the arm and leg on the other side of the body to gain height and rotation. Balance and control height and rotation so that the COG only moves in one plane, regardless of how high you jump or how many rotations there are. Forget kicking until you achieve this.

On the ground for spin kick: practice rotating backward through the step such that the COG moves in a straight line parallel with the ground toward the opponent. Any curve will spoil the motion. To jump this motion, see above drill. The line becomes a two dimensional parabolic curve, and you kick when the COG reaches the apex.

Note that your head is a major part of your axis and carries a lot of weight. If you position your head off axis during a spin jump, it will go wrong.

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

You might want to learn ninjutsu, I heard they have the best body balance. As for me, I improve my stability in kicking by learning the physics POV of every technique, e.g. what momentum does a backspin create and how to direct that into a powerful back kick by turning the circular momentum into straight line?

7. Gnarlie

Poomsae.

8. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I must admit this is information I was not aware of ... will now go and read up! This also potentially changes the direction training would have taken ... My next obvious question would be how does one work on improving this part of the core?

Interesting tip, I would like to find out more. Any particular sources you would recommend that I can follow? Reason I ask is, almost everyone (my physios, PT, instructors) recommend uneven surface training to help activate my stabilisers (particularly my damaged ankle) and I have seen some benefits of this.

Thank you for the tips, very useful.

I am ummin' and arrin' about Gymnastics and Parkour, I feel both to be ideal for maintaining balance while executing swift movements.
    This opens up a whole new area of discussions (think, thread!) for me ... what is the correct way of kicking, scientifically? Taking reverse turning (Horyo chagi) as an example I have seen numerous ways of doing it, different instructors have different explanations as well but there seems to be no right or wrong. However, understanding it scientifically would help explain it better ...

9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Ah well of course there is an exception to every rule :p For physio and rehab unstable surfaces are sometimes useful. The problem is when people take them out of context and try to use them for strength training, or for balance training on stable surfaces.