Beginner Executive Competition

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Mister Chris, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Mister Chris

Mister Chris New Member

Hello, I'm new to the TKD world and I just earned my yellow belt at our WTF dojang. I competed in my first tournament this weekend and won gold in both poomse and sparring. Luckily, I was allowed to compete in the Senior division. Man those younger guys were tough! But I succeeded in winning. After a discussion with some of my friends, I realize there are not going to be many executive aged beginner/intermediate ranked competitors in the future tournaments, not for sparring at least. I also realize that most tournaments will not mix division competitors since that's why they have the divisions in the first place. Honestly, I love to spar and I would rather not go to the next several tournaments and be awarded the medal because there was no one to fight. Is it a bad thing if I do not disclose my true age and compete in the Senior division, just so I can get the competition experience? If I win, or if I lose, I do not really care, I just want the experience. I have friends that I could ask but they are not Taekwondoka and they'll just tell me that I should join BJJ instead. Not an option I'm willing to pursue at this time, I love TKD! Anyways I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter and I would like your advice. Thank you for your time!

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

4. Mister Chris

Mister Chris New Member

Green belt with my blue stripe now. Went to Texas State Championships, no competitors but me. *mutter* I suppose that it will get better with black belt competitors. Until then! Cheers!

5. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

You did not reveal your age. At our tourneys, we have a ginzo divison for those 34 and older. It is good and bad because the 35s do not have to spar, if they choose, those under 34 but the people, rare that they are, 60s+ must also spar those 34 years old. Also, all ranks of black belt spar in one division and that is not fair, either. Go and spar the younger ones. It will make you better once you spar the older ones.

A language tip: don't use the Okinawan/Japanese "ka" for a Korean martial arts practitioner. The proper Korean useage is "in". So, taekwondoin, hapkidoin, kumdoin, etc.