Belt Tying

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Matt, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Matt

Matt Member

Does it piss off or annoy anyone else when a students able isn't tied correctly?
    When I first started we always got yelled at for tying our belts wrong, and we were expected to be able to tie them blindfolded. I know do this to impress my students, and run belt tying classes because it ticks me off so much. It annoys me the most though when I go to tournaments or go to guest instruct at another school and they have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, sometimes even fourth dan black belts that can not tie their own belts correctly.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

There is no excuse for a poorly tied belt beyond week two of having a uniform. Even my 4 year olds can do it right. Sometimes people turn up to gradings like that, or worse, with a dobok that has been rolled up in their bag for a week and is creased to hell. Guess who has failed before they set foot on the mat...while we're about it, the groin protector goes inside the dobok...all things which speak of a persons overall perception of and attitude towards what they are doing. Indicators of a lack of care, effort and respect.

John Hulslander likes this.
  3. Matt

Matt Member

I totally agree.... I aim to have my youngest students tying belts correctly before first stripe for white belt, older students way before that. I also am super picky about the condition of ones dobok especially when they show up to a test or a tournament. And about groin protectors, them being on the outside of the pants is no problem for the classroom. Just out of the sense of it being easier then waiting for every little kid to go into the bathroom and put it on. For tournaments I won't hesitate to give kyongos for not wearing gear correctly.

4. Gnarlie

Wearing a groin protector outside the dobok is a safety issue. The mechanic of the protector relies on the meat and two veg being inside the protector at the time of impact. With the pants in the way, this is almost impossible and I have seen some horrific results requiring hospital treatment, where the edge of the protector acts as a blade, damaging the testicles. Wearing nothing would be safer. Do your students a favour and let them know beforehand that they should be wearing their protector.

5. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I like the idea of tying (no pun intended) proper belt tying to promotion. Will incorporate immediately.

IIRC there are groin protectors designed to be worn outside a dobok. Thing is the ones we tried were bulky and interfered with performance.

6. Gnarlie

You could be right, I have never seen one though. I have seen some fairly bulky ones though.

Wearing them on the inside is stipulated as part of the WTF competition rules, and is up to the referee to check as part of his or her safety checks before the match.

I have seen more than a few guys hospitalised when they catch a good shot to the pills either without the GG or worse, with the GG on the outside. It really pays not to be lazy, somehow those kicks just know and end up homing in there like a heat seeking missile when something is not right. It's pretty rare to take a heavy shot with the GG on properly. Murphy's Law?

7. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

It was a foam protector.
    IMO if the WTF is going to specify wearing them on the outside, there should be some clever dobok designer to make it work.

That being said, bad joke wise, one of my retired black belts name.... Richard Blocker. He should have a company making them.

cheers.

Gnarlie likes this.