Black belt

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by sqgear, Apr 26, 2012.

1. sqgear

sqgear Member

It is the way to describe the highest post attainable by any taekwondo player. It defines the level of teaching not the expert level of an individual . A common idea persisting among people is that the belt is black due to several years of sweat and mud which got collected on it . Also people believe not to wash the belt as it may lead to loss of the "knowledge gained" !

2. Antonio

Antonio New Member

A black belt means so much to me. I believe a black belt is more than knowing how to throw a punch, kick, or do an armbar. The meaning of a black belt to me is how a person acts in everyday life.
    A black belt symbolizes hard work, everything that went into it to achieve the black belt. To get back up and keep pushing through all challenges and hardships to achieve my goals. Making the commitment to earn it symbolizes what the black belt actually is. It means that all my hard work has paid off, reaching my goal to achieve a black belt.

Dean likes this.
  3. Jo

Jo New Member

In my opnion a black belt means more then just knowing the basic techniques of your art. It means you have graduated from highschool and you are ready for the real world. The highiest level of the MA.

4. sqgear

sqgear Member

or should i write " THE BLACK BELT " ! , because it is the best and represents one's hard work and effort to reach it and make them feel proud while wearing it .

5. Aika

Aika New Member

It definitely means a lot of different things, the most basic of which is that it means that you are qualified to teach MA and you have mastered the basics. However, in addition to the basics, a black belt also has a certain responsibility for their abilities that a person that does not train in formal martial arts does not have.

It signifies an understanding of the self-defense. Also, I think in any respectable school a black belt has knowledge of the application of their abilities outside the realm of simply self-defense. This is where things are more complicated and the reason why it seems ridiculous to have a person train for three years and be a black belt or be 8 years old and be a black belt. Unless the person training three years trains the way they used to do (5-7 times a week outside in winter and summer for upwards of 5 hours) than a commitment has not been demonstrated and would not be a sufficient amount of time for a person to master the basics of self-defense let alone anything beyond that. As for an 8 year old there is not the mental development to be able to apply a martial art outside the dojo and without that martial arts is just a method of how to fight.

6. sqgear

sqgear Member

i totally agree with you aika , hardwork is the key to success , wherever you may go , whatever you do ( if you study or if you work) , without hard work you wouldn't even last for one single day (lots and lots of competetion ) and you can not get any achievement without doing Hardwork !

7. Andy

Andy New Member

Yes mate, The black belt!!!
    Im working hard to get a balck belt. It means so much for me, its one of my main goal in life.

Mark Greene likes this.
  8. sqgear

sqgear Member

best wishes to you Andy , hope you achieve your goal asap :)

9. Leighton

Leighton Member

Good luck Andy, It means many things to many people. For me it was a sense of achievement for all the hard work and set backs I had. I always looked upto the senior grades and now its good to be a part of it, now I feel there is also a reponsibility to wear it correctly, not just in the physical sense around the waist but in my physical bearing and demeaner in and out of the club.

10. dae

dae New Member

No matter how long you have trained, everyone knows that to get a black belt is indicative of a huge personal achievement. It shows not only have you trained for a certain amount of time, and put in huge amounts of effort, but also that you have made the necessary changes in your character and personality to ‘become’ a black belt.

11. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

Precisely, Dae....A black belt isn't something you WEAR, it's something you BECOME (to quote the posters I've seen). The transition isn't the easiest. It took me a long time to adjust to my black belt after I earned it. It took me even longer to adjust to the title of "Master Instructor" after I was given that title by my teacher. At both levels, I was constantly working to make sure I lived up to the expectations that everyone (especially my students) had for me at those ranks. Not sure if I've succeeded entirely, but I have certainly worked hard to do the best I can.

12. Mark Greene

Mark Greene New Member

In traditional Taekwon-do the colors of the belts have a specific meaning.
    White-purity no knowledge
    yellow-the seed of Taekwon-do
    green-the plant or sprout of Taekwon-do
    blue-the sky the plant grows towards
    red- danger the practicioner has skills but needs to learn to control them
    black-master of colored belts... the color black absorbs all colors of the spectrum

By no means does black belt signify mastery. Even the "bars", dans or degrees have meaning. Traditionally 1,2 and 3 dans are considered to be beginners. Only until 4th dan does the term "expert" come into play. However, the title of Master is earned ONLY at the rank of 7th degree.

There is a great resource of knowledge for the origins of this subject. Go to facebook, mytaekwondoworld. The page is Grand Master Scott McNeely's. He is the youngest person to be promoted to the rank of 9th dan ( Grand Master ) by the pioneers of Taekwon-do, among them are Great Grand Master Nam Tae Hi, who was instrumental in the development ( beginning ) of Taekwon-do with General Choi Hong Hi. Look up Nam Tae Hi when you have a few minutes. He tested my instructor to 7th degree as well. Anyway, there is a post from GM McNeely concerning the use of the title, master, at 6th degree..might have to scroll down a bit to find it. His wife posted the history, origins and meanings of the ranks. Great resource for any Taekwon-do practicioner.

13. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

I've found that the rank/title of "Master" does vary slightly in some organizations. In my first style, Tang Soo Do, as well as in my TKD school where I originally earned my black belt, the title was awarded at 4th Dan, and usually involved a separate examination from the regular promotion test. The same held true for the title of "Kyo-Sa" or Certified Instructor. I know quite a few organizations like the ones you mentioned do grant the title of "Master" at 7th Dan.

14. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

I believe for someone to hold the title of master, they must have attained true mastery. By that I mean, a true dedication of the 'wholeness' of your art. A true master does not have to demonstrate his skill. With some the title of master is given with rank. With others it's their Do of TKD that makes them masters.

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  15. Christina

Christina New Member

My TKD family has been my rock and my support. I just recently found out that I would be moving out of state for work, and my GM has seen fit to make sure that I will be given the opportunity to double test to BB. It is such an honor, I am speechless. The fact that my GM has seen fit to challenge me and has seen something in me that is BB worth utterly causes me such amazement that I am digging deep within myself in order to make him proud of me. I know that he wants to challenge me with such a seemingly impossible task, in order for me to find within myself the confidence to transform myself, and to perhaps to finally believe that I am worthy for the first time in 44 years. There are no words, other than:perseverance, self control, integrity, indomitable spirit, courtesy. I will meet the challenge, and I shall make him proud.

16. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

A black belt means different things to different people.

I look at our GM's black belt board and see well over 100 first dans. Less than half of that made it to second dan. Less than half again to third dan and so forth.

For many it is a goal, a bucket list item. It's notch in their belt.

For others it's a means to an end.

To me it tells me the student has begun to understand Taekwondo. It's like a doctor with a medical degree. It's a first step for them, or I would like it to be.

As far as what makes a master instructor, or a grand master.
    The Korean term for master instructor is sah bum nim. I always thought that the sah is Korean for fourth. Our GM has not confirmed it. He does not give the title master instructor until someone has reached fifth dan. Of course he considers himself a bit of an outsider in the world of TKD and TSD.

My thoughts are that until one helps a student promote from ninth gup to first dan, they should not accept the title sah bum nim.

I know our GM would not accept the title grandmaster until he promoted someone to fifth dan.

It is late and my thoughts aren't as clear as they should be. I apologize for the ramble.