book or website on join locks in tkd ?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by michael mckenna, Aug 21, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

i found a book on throws now im looking for joint locks any help is apreciated

2. michael mckenna

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Any book or videos on hapkido, aikido, kuk sool, etc, will go into joint locks. Just keep in mind Myagi's words: "Ah, karate. Learn from book?" They can never tell you how to do a lock or how a lock feels being done to you. Arts that specialize in them are great. Many masters, if they are in it for the art and not the almighty $$ will be more than willing to share their knowledge somewhat. Of course, the previous tips are based on whether the knowledge you wish is general or TKD specific, too.

4. michael mckenna

more tkd specific but i wouldnt see why i couldnt add stuff from hapkido or kuk sool to my taekwondo which is probably more likely but it would be prefferable for it to be tkd specific

5. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Just remember that joint locks are joint locks. No matter what is learned, it is a fact that the body only moves in a limited number of ways. What you learn in TKD, etc has been done before. Reading the link above, unless you want to learn specifics of what may be included in forms, than an art that specializes more in locks will, I think, benefit you a lot more.

6. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

7. michael mckenna

awesome when you get it can you post a few pics of the contents

8. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

I really love Iain Abernethy`s books when it comes to grappling. He is obviously not a Taekwondoin, but his focus on strikes and the similiarity of the techniques between Karate and Taekwondo also makes the grappling he shows very relevant for us. And as a bonus he usually shows some examples of how the grappling appear in Kata so you might view some part of Your forms in a New light.

For joint Locks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arm-locks-S...qid=1377148893&sr=1-7&keywords=iain+abernethy

For throws: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Throws-Stri...qid=1377149140&sr=1-3&keywords=iain+abernethy

For grappling: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karates-Gra...qid=1377149140&sr=1-4&keywords=iain+abernethy

I have them all and reccomend them as they are great books:) I also have about 6-10 Hapkido books, but I have found the above linked book to be more helpfull (for me) than the Hapkido books. I would reccomend spending 6 months to a year or so in a more grappling oriented Martial Art to really learn and internalize break falling though if this is not covered in Your training. In my personal opinion I think Taekwondo should teach break falling as part of the art. If not for the throws than at least as a "sh*t I messed up my high kick and now need to land" solution:)

UK-Student likes this.
  9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

10. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

I reccomend it too (and I have it). Stuart Anslow is a really Nice guy and a solid Taekwondoin:) If you buy the book he also has a private discussion forum set up so you can ask and discuss the different parts of the book. It is not so lively these days but the fact remains, how many Authors of books set up a seperate discussionforum so the Readers can discuss the various Applications, history and all other Things covered in the book? I did not recomend this first as you ask for a book specifically for joint Locks. The book covers them yes as there are joint Locks in his Applications, but if you want more details on fewer techniques you might want to invest in the Iain Abernethy books. If however you are interested in Applications to the Chang Hon forms you should buy the book by Stuart Anslow:)

Edit: I have book number one not book number two that Bowlie linked to, but I am sure that book number two is equally good;)

11. Anthony Hayward

I have both.. they are good books.. well worth the money.. didn't know about the discussion forum though.. will have to look for it

12. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

The details of how to join should be on one of the last few pages in the first book.

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  13. Anthony Hayward

thanks

14. michael mckenna

yeh i speak to mr anslow often about movies and taekwondo and i really should buy his books

15. Foggy

Foggy Active Member

I should never have looked in this thread. Now I have 4 books to buy.

THANKS GUYS :rolleyes:

16. Anthony Hayward

I am the same.. I bought 4 books to after looking at the site

17. michael mckenna

i plan to buy all 5 of the books mentioned

18. Foggy

Foggy Active Member

*re checks links*

FIVE! Damn it man! 5 books to get!

michael mckenna likes this.
  19. michael mckenna

lol your gonna be sitting on the toilet for along time reading those books

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  20. Tom.D

Tom.D Active Member

what a great topic to start Michael, as I was also looking for information regarding joint lock techniques, and on my own search, I came across this great topic: http://sbnboozer.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/the-art-of-ho-sin-sul/ , and then this one with videos: http://jungdokwan-taekwondo.blogspot.ie/2012/06/there-is-still-hope-for-taekwondo-ho.html , so on further hunting, I finally found a book on the subject: http://ryukyubooks.com/cart/products/Ho_Sin_Sul_Conceptual_Self_Defense-441-22.html . I hope the links I've posted are helpful, as the other posts have been on the subject, and with that in mind, I'm off now to buy a bookshelf to add the rest of the books mentioned above ;) :D .

michael mckenna likes this.