Bow to the flag/salute the flag

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Rugratzz, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Ok guys please help me out here,

At the beginning and end of the class there is a normal (well in our club anyway) of turning to the flag and saluting it, for the life of me I cannot work out what they are saying, the people I have asked they all seem to say it differently, so for my English speaking ears, I cannot make out what they are saying, something like, woan,ho kokyo aia kyung yet ......our chief instructor seems to just grunt it, (not being rude to him) then when we return after saluting the flag they bow to the instructor, to me that sounds like (phonetically) tu shin net talliet, (then rank of the instructor) Kyung yet PLEASE forgive my spelling.

Obviously I need to know what it is, but my youngest is sometimes the highest grade and has to give the command to bow to the instructor, so he sort of mumbles it.

Any help would be wonderful thanks

RR

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Depends on the club, a lot of places say this differently depending on their lineage.

We used to use Kukki Yea Tae Hae, which means face the flags.

It could be Won Ho (group) Kukki (the flag) Yea Tae Hae (facing) , Charyeot! (Attention) Kyeong Rye (bow) meaning group face the flag and bow.

The instructor bow command depends on the grade of the person being bowed to. If he is a 9.Dan for example, it might be-

Sa Syun Nim Gyae, Kyeong Rye, meaning toward (Gyae) the grandmaster (Sa Syun Nim) , Attention (Charyeot!), bow (Kyeong Rye).

The word to call to attention is also in there, Charyeot!

It's not unusual for people to grunt this stuff when they don't really know it and so the cycle of misunderstanding continues. The joy of a Korean instructor is you can ask!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  3. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

good grief, its so confusing,

Won Ho (group) Kukki (the flag) sounds about tight, our version
    woan ho kokyo ( aia... not sure about that) Kyeong Rye (kyone)

Some words are missing but that could be down to the Danish translation and the way words are spoken, they love to drop letters when saying words.

RR

4. Gnarlie

Ask the GM next time you see him. Koreans are less than thrilled by our poor pronunciation of Korean, and most appreciate the effort to get it right. It's pretty sure that the seniors don't really know what they are trying to say even. In every other aspect of TKD I would defer to a senior grade, but with Korean it's important to find out for yourself, because the average level of language skill in TKD is pretty poor. IMO people don't attach enough importance to getting it right.

5. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I will ask a few more people abut it, I need to get it right, not only for respect, but also for myself. I suspect you are in the sort of same position as me, words are said differently because of they way they are said with accents, (me in Denmark and you in Germany) so the locals ears hear it differentially. so to get the words from a Korean speaker will help. We only see our Gm a couple of times a year, his English and Danish are about as good as my Danish, so when he takes the class, its all in Korean, so for me its a lot of guess work, and a lot of concentration on watching what he does. because he speaks native Korean, the only Korean I hear is with Danish accents.

I need to find out more about the linage, but everything I can find is in Danish, I dont know if you have ever heard of him Choi Kyoung An.

RR

6. Gnarlie

7. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

8. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Ok I have now got the low down on it, although not the spelling, because our GM is a Korean army man, the actual commands are from the army not TKD, it all becomes clear now
    Again thank for the help guys

RR

9. Gnarlie

So what does it sound like?

10. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Our GM is coming to our club on thursday, I will get him to write it out for me, from the horses mouth as it were. so I will get a better translation. if I try to write down what I hear its not going to be very close, hearing it from a heavy accented Dane to an English man.

Will let you know

RR

11. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Ok My GM did not have a lot of time he needed to talk to the instructors, before he headed back home I I needed to get my boys home, to eat and bed.

Anyway,
    beginning of the lesson,

hwan ho (we turn to face the flag) kuki yeh ( place hand on chest salute the flag) Kyeong Rye bow, but it could be

wen Kuk ki ae kyung nae (found that on a website)
    wen Gooki Deh Hyo, Kyong ye

then when we have finished that, we face the front, and it goes something like,

su sin shet (we stand at ease, legs apart hands behind us) then tallet (come to attention) Sah bon nim (instructors grade) Kyeong Rye bow.

There was me thinking that it was going to be a simple process, how wrong I was, :confused:

RR

12. Matthias F. Duelp

Matthias F. Duelp New Member

wish I could see all players greet the British flag before a soccer match, since it was invented in England ... ;-)
    We used "charyeot - tae gukki keongye" ...