Bowlie's training log.

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by bowlie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

7.5 is a solid distance.
    I managed 8 on Saturday. I used a minimalist type show (not one of the finger shoes but something similar) that promotes midfoot striking. Easier on the knees, not so much on the calves.

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Im training for a half marathon. 7.5 was the furthest I have gone so far and I did have to walk a little bit, but I was running with my uncle so that kept me moving at a pretty good pace. It took about 65 mins which im happy with. The only downside is I have blisters about an inch across on the ball of each foot because my shoes dont fit. Im getting a new pair next week and I like the sound of minimalist ones. Can you link me to the ones you use? I use a barefoot style too, but with normal shoes at the moment.

3. John Hulslander

I have the New Balance Minimus Vibram shoes.
    http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/...red-by/Featured-Items/TRA-NEW-BALANCE-Minimus

The model I have is prior generation (got them for 50.00 us)

They say when you go to the minimus shoe don't go all in from the get go. Work your way for the reasons in my above post.

7.5 miles in 65 minutes is a pretty good time. I am struggling to break 9:20s consistently, but I am old, fat and have craptastic knees.

4. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will look into them. My knees are craptastic, and I dont even have an excuse :p

18/06/13
    Muay Thai

5. John Hulslander

FWIW, I am trying to run the Columbus 1/2 marathon this year. I was on pace last year until a knee issue set in. Doing MUCH better this year for a number of reasons.

Real goal is to run full marathon in a year or two, but I am taking it relatively easy on the knees in prep.

Anthony Hayward and John McNally like this.
  6. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

I couldn't do a marathon, it would kill me. I run as general conditioning for my martial arts, not really to get good at running, so to go that far for me is too much :p Best of luck to you and everyone else willing to take on that monster though :p

John McNally likes this.
  7. John Hulslander

Think of it as a bucket list type thing. Just to say I did.
    Plus my brother ran one at age 12 or so. I can't go to the grave with him holding that over my head.

8. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

19/06/13
    Quick run

22/06/13
    3 mile run.

24/06/13
    Heavy bag workout

26/06/13
    2.6 mile run with GF.

Heavy bag workout.

27/06/13
    2.6 mile run with GF.

My GF has decided she wants to get fit so that she can beat everyone at sports when we go on holiday in a month. Our runs are a bit slower than when I go on my own and we have to stop once or twice, but that's quite nice for me because I get to do plenty of miles without busting my calves up.

9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Been for a few runs, lost count. Went shoe shopping yesterday and got fitted for running shoes. Apparently my arches pronate very badly, and watching it back my ankles collapse when I run. According to Kelly Starrett the way my legs are is a clear indicator of an ACL blow out in the future, so at least that explains my knee pain. Took the highest perscription shoes for the mean time, and im going to book a physio to sort my legs out in the long run. The aim is that I can gradually reduce the prescription I need through strengthening the arch if my foot and eventually transition to barefoot style shoes.

Went for my first run today in new shoes, about 2 miles really trying to use proper foot striking technique and it was ok. Knee hurt less I think, but the side of my left foot and the outside of my calf is exhausted because im using them now and wasnt before. Need to slowly build up the miles with these new shoes, so my long conditioning days will have to be bike rides

10. John Hulslander

I had a minor setback about a week and a half ago. Something popped a little in my knee when free fighting. I ran 9 miles the following Saturday. No pain run day, but the day after was tough.

Then in my next class I was doing well and feeling little pain. (I had run 5k on Monday am) I went to do a side stretch kick and the knee buckled.

This is setting me back a week or so.

11. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Sounds nasty, hope it gets better soon. My knee feels better today than it has in a long time just by changing the way I walked and ran yesterday and today.

12. John Hulslander

Not nasty just part of having craptastic knees. buckling meant no support on horizontal planes. A little pain and a week off and it is fine. Did a 5k today in 28:30. It was a theme fun race. ( http://rundrenched.com/events/columbus/ )

Have a sports doctors appointment in a couple of weeks. Primary concern is being able to keep up running at a distance and getting any kind of power whatsoever in my roundhouse kicks. I see a fitted brace in my future for class.

13. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Very interesting, and a very good time to finish in. Glad your knee is holding up. Have a look at your leg mechanics maybe? Mobility WOD has helped me identify(not really fix) some problems in the past so that might be worth a look. X walks are something I found to help, like side stepping with resistance bands to build the glutes and help externally rotate the legs.

14. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

08/07/13
    4.5 mile run. Getting there with my shoes

15. John Hulslander

6.2 today. A little slow, plenty of excuses. Interesting run. Weekdays I have to get up early to run (If I don't start my 10ks by 5 am, I'll be late for work) Heat Lightning storm. Nice special effects for the day.

16. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Geeze, I havnt been up since 5 since I used to swim before high school. Last year I was barely asleep before 5 :p

17. John Hulslander

Having a 3 year old will do that.

18. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Few mistakes I saw, firstly the horrible body hook, I changed my mind mid punch. Second the elbows dont have enough follow through with the body and they arent aimed high enough.

Working on my hooks, because they really need the work. They arent pretty, but im just happy I can throw that left hook without pain in my shoulder now.

19. John Hulslander

One other note on early runs.
    Where I am, in the Summer running early is kind of necessary. 90+degrees and 85+% humidity makes later runs troublesome at best.

20. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

11/07/13
    I did a two mile run today first thing because its hot here. I hated it. I had no energy, wasn't breathing properly (dehydrated) and felt really sick when I got home because of depleted glycogen stores I guess. Wont be doing that again :p I also went to the gym. Did a mile run for a warm up at 12km/h (my target race pace).
    squats
    60kgx5
    70kgx5
    75kgx1
    Militarypress
    30kgx5
    35kgx5
    35kgx3
    Split squats
    20kg 3x8
    DB Military 16kg 3x5
    Leg extensions 35kg each leg 3x5