Bowlie's training log.

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by bowlie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

19/07/13

Lots of running lately, and badminton every day. I dont like badminton, I cant use my strength to win :p But its surprisingly good for foot speed and agility, so I guess thats good.

2. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

how's the half marathon prep? When is the event?

3. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Its going ok, im on holiday now so im doing lots of sports, but not alot of specific training, although I do have at least one big run planned with my running partner. Its October time I think

4. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Bucket list it is... I am actually training at present for a stampede event.. It is a 10km obstacle course through mud etc... I'll see how I go after that and then maybe look at 1/2 marathon and so on.
    http://www.thestampede.com.au/

John Hulslander likes this.
  5. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Ive always wanted to do tough mudder or one of the spartan death races :p

6. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Did tons of sports over the holiday, but no big run. Mostly surfing, badminton and a tiny bit of boxing. Oh and a few forced death marches along 'costal paths' (conveniently perched on cliff faces with pointy rocks and big waves below them).

Did a small run when I got back with my GF. 4 miles, but with a few walking bits. No knee pain though.

7. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

29/07/13
    Cycled to work and back. 6.5 miles uphill there, 6.5 downhill back.

30/07/13
    Work and back again, then to the gym. Did a 1 mile run at my race pace (8 min mile or 12km/h) as a warmup.
    Squats 50kgX5X5
    Military 20KG X 3 X 5
    Chinups didnt count, lots of singles and small sets
    Then a friend came so I helped with her workout.

Went to boxercise after with her because she was nervous about going. Quality of teaching was atrocious, but it was good just to hit the pads and I guess its still a good cardio workout.

So yeah, strange workout today. Didnt really lift heavy, I just wanted to see how my body does compound lifts. Squats felt fine and feel ok today too (my last leg workout left my knee sore, might have been the leg extensions, squats seem fine) which is good. Military press felt weird. Very tight in my left shoulder and hard to stop my elbow flaring out. When I did stop it it hurt. Possibly need more flexibility / mobility in my left shoudler. Chinups, still twisting slightly to the left. My top chinup position has my left shoulder much more tight and secure in the socket. Maybe over tight, or maybe my right is too loose. Either way, need to work on something. Still waiting for Physio to get back to me.

8. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

31/07/13
    My 20th Birthday seems like a good place to assess my goals so far. Im fitter, stronger and have better body composition than I did this time last year, and my skill at striking has improved, but not by as much as I would have liked. Its just over a year since my shoulder was fixed, and its clear its still impacting the way I train. I had a few small injuries this year because of it, and my imbalances still arent fixed. In light of this, time for new goals.

Long term Goals (pretty much unchanged)
    • improve my body composition and maintain weight
    • Be able to Military Press 60KG, Bench 100KG, Squat 140KG, Deadlift 180KG and do weighted Chinups with 20KG.
    • Run 1.5 miles in 9 mins
    To do this I will need to be able to do the main lifts pain free and with good form, and run consistently without knee pain, so this is what I will work towards first.
    Short term Goals
    • Fix my Knee
    • Complete the half marathon. Not really bothered about time as long as I run it all.
    • Lower my BF% (If im going alot of running might as well work on body comp too)
    • Fix my various imbalances or whatever it is thats stopping me doing compound lifts.
    After My half Marathon I will focus on gaining muscle to fix my imbalances. Gaining muscle and training for a half marathon wont be compatible i think.

9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

The Half marathon is on the 13th of october. http://www.perkinsgreateasternrun.co.uk/
    That gives me roughly 10 weeks. If I take 5 as the number of miles I can do now then that means I need to increase my mileage by 1 every week, giving me 2 'stall' weeks incase I cant do it that week. The plan I hope to follow will look something like this

M - Big Run
    T- Push
    W - Pull
    T- Little Run
    F - Push
    S - Pull
    s - Off

Of course that will depend on work and things but I think a big run, a small run and 48 miles of cycling a week should be enough. Plus some gym workouts to maintain muscle mass. As the running takes priority these will be short and relatively low intensity. Mostly focusing on the upper body and on corrective exercises. Any lower body stuff will have to not impact on my running training, so will be limited to light squats and any therapeutic exercises I think will help my knee.

10. John Hulslander

Have you looked at any of the Marathon training plans on line. www.coolrunning.com has one or two. A lot of people like Higdon as well.

Suggestions for your knee.
    If you don't already, work on midfoot striking. How to tell, look at your shoe tread wear pattern.
    Make sure to stretch before you run. Dynamic stretching followed by stretches that target the thighs, hips and lower legs.
    Goal should be 180 steps per minute. If less, shorten the stride and work on mid foot striking.
    Heat the knee a half hour before you run and chill it a half hour after. Use ibuprofen or the equivalent as needed.

Or this is in large part what I am doing....

11. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

I will give it a go, especially counting steps/min.

02/08/13
    2 mile run

Last workout before holiday
    DB Press 16kg x 10 x 3
    DB Rows 22kg x 10 x 3
    DB Military 12kg x 10 x 3
    pulldowns 35kg x 10 x 3
    Rear Delt Flyes 6kg x 10 x 3
    DB Flyes 8kg x 10 x 3

Different workout to what I usually do. Usually I do a few heavy lifts and im nackered. I got alot more volume in this way. I will be interested to see what happens

12. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

06/08/13

6 Mile run. Took 5o mins

13. John Hulslander

6.4 Miles today. 60 minutes.

Good pace for you. Did you hit 180 bpm?

14. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

It was, I was supprised how quickly I did it. I think it might have been a tiny bit less than 6 miles looking at a map, but not far off. Im sure I was going above my 8min mile pace for the first half. I did, I counted 30 steps and it came out at exactly 10s on my stopclock. Unless I got worse at maths that means my normal running pace is almost exactly 180 steps a minute. I would be interested to see my heart rate while running too. I still have my monitor but I lost the strap. I might have to DIY one.

Best thing is, I wasnt too exhausted afterwards. I was out of breath but could have run further, and my legs werent tired. Stitch slowed me down on the way back but I pushed through. Really the only thing holding me back is my left knee /ankle. Even that isnt awful, but I feel my running form slipping after about 4 miles at the moment, and im wary of injuring myself.

15. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Been doing some research on my knees (knee and ankle been quite bad today) and it looks like I have IT band syndrome. Stretching and rolling should help. Going upsteam my glutes are also probably too weak. I have known that for a while, but thought that doing squats focusing on glute activation might help. Maybe it has, but not enough. I think from now on no quad exercises other than squats. All my leg work will be focused on my hamstrings and glutes. That has the added benefit of meaning that my quads (the muslce most used in long distance running, no?) wont be taxed too much. Downstream still puzzles me, im having real trouble finding much on fixing overpronation. Although im wondering if im not actually over pronated in the traditional sense. I think possibly the collapsing of the arch is caused by bow leggedness caused by tight IT band rather than a weak arch.

16. John Hulslander

My first round of PT was designed to work hammies and glutes.
    One of the PT exercises was to sit in an office chair on a rug and using my legs, do a few laps around the carpeted area. A lot tougher than it sounds...

17. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

lol i use to get kicked out of I.T for that in highschool

18. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

Hi Bowlie! I'd love to watch your training videos, but I can't see them because they're on private. Can you set them to unlisted so only forum readers can see them? Or add my YouTube username to the approved watch list if you want. Thanks.

19. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Sure I will add you to the watch list later today. I leave the most up to date one public, because its the least embarrassing, but I dont want to be the next unbreakable board guy :p These are almost the exact opposite of a highlight reel, they are meant to catch all of my mistakes so I can fix them. Its quite interesting to see my progress though.

I should say though, its mostly punching. I have to rebuild most of my movement patterns from scratch, and im starting by getting the punches down. I also find my left leg is holding back my kicking ability at the moment. That said, I might do one exclusively with kicks soon.

20. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

what do you mean your left leg his holding you back ?