Bowlie's training log.

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by bowlie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

bowlie add me to the list so i can view your progress. i may do something like this but not sure though

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

There is something wrong with it. Not sure what, possibly tight IT band syndrome. Its very inflexible so it prevents me doing kicks the way I know I should. I tried stretching alot, but its more of an issue than that and lots of stretching causes pain in the knee joint. Must be the same problem that causes pain running for more than a few miles.

Im hoping that by stretching and foam rolling the IT band, and strengthening the glutes and hamstrings I will reach a stage where I can use it normally. we will see. Incidentally I cycled maybe 14 miles yesterday to get a foam roller :p

whats your YT name?

3. michael mckenna

its michael mckenna http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...urgeon-shows-no-signs-of-slowing-down-in-life

4. michael mckenna

5. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Cool. Just made them visible I hope :p And very inspiring read above.

michael mckenna likes this.
  6. michael mckenna

nice

7. michael mckenna

how long will it take for me to watch them ? as i just tried and still on private

8. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

No idea mate, never done this before and not even sure if I did it right :p

9. michael mckenna

why did you set them on private if you planned on putting them on a thread

10. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

they were public to begin with lol, I set the old ones to private when I upload new ones

11. michael mckenna

yeh you didnt do it right mate still on private

12. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

I set them all to unlisted for you. Let me know what you think. I find it so weird watching myself because all the things I THINK im doing like chambering high or using hip rotation dont always happen.

michael mckenna likes this.
  13. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Did my run. I worked out a 7 mile route, and did that, but I felt I had a bit left in the tank at the end so instead of turning back for home I carried on. Came to 7.4 miles. Not bad for about an hour and 15.

14. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

3 mile run, 26 mins

15. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

You improve pretty fast. I noticed there's a slight wind up before some of your punches. That telegraphs your intentions. Just launch the attack from where it is, rotating shoulder and body into it, letting that motion naturally load your next motion. You're also chicken-winging. Don't let your elbows flare out or up when you punch. They start down, so they should stay down throughout the course of the punch.

Hooks are looking better, rotate that front foot inward more if you want to add some power. Lead with the shoulder or else your hooks will continue to be "all arm." As you master this principle, your shoulder will move at the same time as your hands and it won't telegraph your intentions. Your weight seems to be on the back for your leg more than the front; are you aiming for a thai boxing stance or a standard boxing stance? A standard boxing stance has the weight more centered between the front and back legs and allows you to move quickly but causes some issues when kicks are introduced to your repertoire

Rotate your elbow strikes farther across your body and drive through the target more. Keep the forearm close to your chest; really focus on the rotation of the elbow. If you're going for more of the jab kind of elbow, then lift your elbow higher and bring it down at an angle.

Good job! Keep improving.

16. michael mckenna

your technique, stance and guard resembles more muay thai then it does taekwondo in my opinion. ive watched your other videos your getting better with your hands and your stance is good and so is your guard. although while doing the turning kick your extending your leg abit too early although you are pivoting yourelf good. nice front kicks but i'd try kicking something that heavier then your small punch bag like a car tire if you got one or know someone who has a spare. car tires are good to condition your instep, shin, elbows knee's and your hands. also do you plan on doing full contact in the future or semi contact ?. good up the good work mate.

17. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. My stance resembles Muay Thai more because of my boxing I think. I was told the principals of power generation in a western boxing punch and a TKD punch are very different. I work from a stance that allows me to punch best as its my greatest weapon. Its not really a Thai stance because its too bladed I think. My front leg would get kicked to death if I used that in Thai sparring. My kicking is weird because I was trying to combine two kicks. I was taught TKD style roundhouse kicks but felt I wasn't getting enough power with them, so I started trying to do things to get more power like chamber to the side for more hip rotation. Thats the wrong thing to do really, which is why they are strange. For now im going to go back to just using my TKD kicks as I was taught them, minus the front push kick. I do feel like the Thai roundhouse is more powerful, simply from being kicked with both variants (through the pads). I may be wrong but I expect that comes from the rule set. The TKD roundhouse is faster and more versatile (can be high or low easily) so its great for scoring points, but the Thai kick really has to do damage to make it worth throwing in the rule set.

As for competing, maybe in a long long time. Ive realized how dangerous hard sparring is in terms of brain damage, and its made me back off a bit. I dont mind sparring light like we do at TKD, but I dont want to spar in muay thai untill I have the basics down really well. Especially the defense, so im going to give it a few months, maybe a year and maybe have a few private sessions with a teacher before I step in the ring. Competing is something I would like to do maybe once so I can say I have done it, as sort of a self improvement thing.

18. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

25/08/13

7.9 mile run with my uncle. Near as dam it 8 so that will do :p only took about 65 mins, and it was very hilly, so im happy with that. Knee ache a bit but its not awful

19. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

11 miles yesterday 102 minutes. Hit the wall at or about 9.5 miles (started checking my distance every tenth of a mile or so.

IDK that it will help you Bowlie, but I can scan and send you my IT band exercises as part of my PT. Seems to be helping my knees......

20. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

If you could that would be great. Im foam rolling and stretching it, but I dont really know what im doing