Bowlie's training log.

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by bowlie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

in scotland thats called missing the bus to work lol

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

15/10/13

still wrecked from the half marathon, so i only did my bench and rows at the gym. Still hit my target weights so thats good.

Physio have also worked out i have one leg longer than the other, and as a result a tilted pelvis and various muscle tightnesses and weaknesses as a result.

17/10/13

DB cleans
    8kgx5
    14x5
    14x5

Press
    20x5x5
    Supper setted with Chinups. sets of 4 to begin with. Last 2 sets were only 3

Deadlift
    30x5x5

Farmers carries
    18kg.

Weird workout. Not sure how to do farmers carries exactly, or cleans for that matter, and it just feels weird deadlifting such a low ammount. Its made me realize where im compensating in some places though.

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Nice, but now I have a target. My half is this Sunday (the 20th)
    13.1 miles in an urban environment with only a little elevation change.
    Stunning views of closed businesses (on a Sunday) houses, etc...

I am hoping for a sub 2 hour deal, but it will be a challenge.

4. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Haha, im sure you will surpass me :p you consistently thrashed my feeble attempts at endurance up untill now. Very best of luck mate, looking forward to your gloating tomorow when you blow me out of the water!

John Hulslander likes this.
  5. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Ha I kicked your arse: 1:53:24

bowlie likes this.
  6. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Haha, great job man :D Still some fight in the old dog yet eh? I will get you next year though :p

7. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

22/10/13

box jumps 5x5

squats 35x5x5 (pain in bottom of left latt)

bench 32.5x5x5 felt ok. Pain some sets, not others. I think i just need to nail the technique and keep doing my potator cuff work. Did it on a slight incline today as physio said. Seemed to help, although im not sure if it really was helping, or if incline is just easier, so i was in effect lifting less weight. I guess if its the second no harm is done apart from me progressing slower, but 5lbs a week is a big increase for me so im happy with that if it keeps up)

db rows 20x10x10 (cant decide whether to super set these with my bench, ala 531 pulling between pushing, or if i shouldn just do them after. Did half between warmup sets and half after today)

dropped ssld and contact twists today. Partly due to time, partly because i dislike doing them. Might drop them all together, but i expect they would be good for physio.

TKD after

23/10/13
    Swimming for active recovery.

24/10/13
    db cleans 14 x 5

deadlifts 55kg x 5

press 20 x 5 x 5 25 x 5 x 5

chinups 3 x 5

Helped with the Self defense class after

8. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

29/10/13
    started warming up benching and it felt good. Did about 6 warm up sets, felt fine. One working set at 35kg felt good. Second set my shoulder hurt on the second rep, more on the third so i racked it. Tried again after re setting and it still hurt so i gave up and did the roll of shame, wasnt worth hurting myself more. Like a sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder. Did a few sets with the bar only and was fine, and a few sets of over head press and was fine so hopefully next week i will be fine. Might have caused it by doing rotator cuff exercises before lifting. Saving those till after from now on.

Then i had a lecture so i did my db rows and squats after. I also did some db bench press and was fine doing that. I am seriously considering changing to just using dbs again. I know it makes sense, but i prefer using bar bells, and i promised myself i would stick to this routine untill the end of the year. Finished off by swimming.

30/10/13
    Stair sprints

31/10/13
    DB snatches 16kg

press 25kgx5x5
    chins

03/11/13
    7 Chinups. New PB
    several sets of 4 chinups
    5 clap pushups

9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

06/11/13
    Taekwondo today. Great session. Figured out how to throw a decent turning kick for once.

10. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

11/12/13
    Spent a long time off because of my shoulder. Not sure what I did but its all better now. Did a full light TKD session yesterday with no pain. Started doing front / latteral band raises and external band rotations with virtually no pain. Lacking a bit of mobility overhead, but I full expect that to come back in time, just dont want to push it yet. Oh, and I did a pain free pushup. So yeah, pissed I had to take so much time off but looks like it was nothing serious and after christmas I can really chase some new PR's.

11. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Think its time I re-opened by log. I haven't been training as much as I would like due to injury. My shoulder is still really quite bad. I have started doing muay thai though, and I want to record what I have learnt. Been to two sessions at Birmingham Uni. They have a 1.5 hour technique session which is brilliant, followed by a fighters session they invited me to after. Its a very competitive team, and im not up to standard yet, but im learning a hell of alot yet.

The instructor knows alot of silat / kali, so he uses alot of the hand trapping things in no glove techniques to establish the clinch and control. Very interesting stuff. I love the muay thai clinch, very well developed and the punching is similar to boxing which I like. I even like the roundhouse because it doesnt torque my knee as much.

I have also noticed some things I dont like though. Nothing like practicing an art to become disillusioned to it :p The movement and footwork is completely different. Very different to taekwondo which uses alot of evasive footwork. Muay thai guys only move forwards.

The clinch is really hard to use with gloves on. On the up side, its very good with gloves off. Very self defense applicable in my experience. When I was working through some of the partner drills my partner had to help someone else, so I 'shadow boxed' the technique to learn the order. It felt like doing a pattern. In my opinion, this is what patterns should be used for. I also noticed that the movement going into the swan neck clinch was almost identical to one I have seen higher grades do in their patterns. Im going to take that as a mandate to include the thai clinch in my taekwondo. Now I just need to work out how. It seems to me the in and out footwork of taekwondo would actually be very suited to moving into the clinch. I guess the problem would be if there was a perceived conflict in the power generation techniques of the clinch, which is very cyclical and uses hip drive to generate power, in contrast to taekwondo striking, which tends not to. And also tends to use a more side on stance, making it harder to move into clinch range. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, Ive decided I want to blend Taekwondo and Muay Thai into a self defense / MMA applicable striking style that works for me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014