Breaking requirements

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Gnarlie, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Breaking requirements for 1st Dan vary with association and club. What guidelines are you given?

2. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

None, just BREAK it!

3. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

When I went for mine in 1989 it was;
    2 Boards - side kick
    2 Boards - turning kick with ball of the foot
    2 Boards - jumping back kick (although that one was not required at my actual grading)
    1 Board - spinning heel kick
    6 Bristile clay roof tiles - downward punch.
    Ladies had to do downward knifehand strike instead of punch.
    However some things vary slightly between different regions within the organization.

4. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I haven't been through the process but from what I hear, students are asked to demonstrate a hand and a foot technique on a suspended wooden board.

The hand technique can be any (fist, knife edge etc) provided it has not been covered previously. Same applies to the foot technique. If the student failed to break in the 1st Kup grading he/she is asked to demonstrate the same technique again.

I did outer-knife-edge and reverse-turning, so will have to demonstrate a different technique next time (haven't figured out what, yet). It could well be a power-break on multiple wooden boards.

In terms of how the break works; I was asked which hand/foot technique I wanted to demonstrate, which I confirmed. And then it was literally a "whenever you are ready!". I then made sure my distancing/balance etc was right and executed the technique.

5. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

1st dan: 3 Boards (one Board at a time) each Board 1 inch (1.5 cm) thick, two of them are broken With any hand technique you wish (two different ones) and the Third one is done With a kick.
    Then 5 roof tiles if I am not mistaken With either fist or knife hand.

Our black belt gradings starts With breaking, you get two chances and if you fail you are automaticly failed and can sit Down. On my grading for 1st Dan there were 3 People who was dismissed right after breaking. Only after the breaking is completed the rest of the syllabus is tested.

6. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Two patio stones, two different techniques. I went with hammer fist and a 12-6 elbow.