can you fail at gradings?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by james driscoll, Jan 5, 2014.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I would say this- Take your exam, enjoy your grade and be comforted in what you know.

And take this as a challenge to help others get better including maybe this candidate offer to spend time with them to help each other get better.

Or you could just bust your chops, get your sabumnim in however many years and open a school on your own.

2. I understand your frustration but just concentrate on where your journey is heading.....however i do firmly believe that everyone has different skill levels and the like but when it comes to gradings the right amount of hours should be accumulated b4 grading.......i guess u have to accept that in sum clubs there is favouritism...just focus on you......martial arts is a personal journey for everyone......mine is no exception...i just get on with it...im not interested in fitting in or being liked....im there to learn how to defend me and my fiance.....thats it.

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

The only failure is giving up, no less, no more. Of course, if a person barely attends, they have, to me given up and show little interest. Therefore, testing is also of no interest.

4. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Thank you for your opinions. I'm not concerned about her, only that our testings are getting pushed out further so she and others like her have time to get ready. If they're not ready for our normal testing intervals I feel that they should wait until the next testing and not force the rest of us to delay.

I have a good relationship with my instructor, he's a good man. We have known each other professionally outside of the dojang for over 25 years so I would have no problems having a chat with him. We'll see, I will hold my tongue for now. Her performance at testing may speak for itself.

5. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

I don't think there's any favoritism going on, I think my instructor is trying too hard to please everyone. He doesn't want to tell a student no, you're not ready, or no, you haven't met the requirements yet. He's a nice guy, I think too nice sometimes.

6. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

Have someone record the test and then see the performance through the lens verses the naked eye. But like others have said, everyone's skills are not the same. Master Fahy

7. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Good comments in general. I personally agree with Gnarlie that, it is your journey that matters. I come across people I feel are not up to the level they should be but then I also know it is not my place to question. If my instructor calls someone up for grading I never second guess it. All I really care about is my grading and my performance. Poor performers eventually drop out and never travel far in their journey.

8. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Yes it is my journey and I will focus on that. Honestly she's a good person and I hope she does well. I don't think her heart is in it though. I think she is being pressured from her family to continue. Her mother, brother and 3 sisters just got their black belts a few months ago. She originally started with them but took a couple years off for school and came back maybe 2 years ago or less. I also think our instructor is wanting to keep that family happy by advancing this girl since there are 7 of them in our class. Whatever, I will help her if I can and be happy to do so.

And fwiw I'm not upset with her at all. I looked at the attendance books tonight. She attended 4 classes from last testing until 5 months later when she was told she would be testing. That was my only gripe, how could you jump a rank with only 4 classes when there is an 80 hour training requirement? I don't think it's fair to her either. We're talking going to 1st kup here, you need to be on your game. You're just not going to learn what you need to learn in 4 classes.