changes to gradings

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Midnight, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Midnight

Midnight New Member

Hi
    it is said that instructors have now to attend courses inorder to be able to grade thier students. does anyone think or feel tht this is the correct path for our art to follow? will this really increease the standard of the art? if some grand masters can not afford t attend the course does this mean they can not grade thier students.

thank you

2. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

To me, that is just another money grab. A person spends how long to reach black belt level, and the hopeful experience to go with it, and then find they are not "qualified" to test even a white belt?

Midnight likes this.
  3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

yes and no. yes because there are actually black belts who don't even know the basics, not just techniques, but TKD knowledge in general. no because there are still black belts who are really qualified but they might not have money to attend such a course and they don't teach for money, but because they love TKD so much that they want it to be widespread.
    I doubt it will. I can even guarantee not all those who have certifications are really capable, a short course cannot replace years of hard practice.
    Unfortunately, it seems so. Though I don't know how it will interfere with Kukkiwon rule: any Dan IV black belts may issue certificates up to Dan I. I forgot the article number, just search in Kukkiwon website.

Midnight likes this.
  4. Matt

Matt Member

To specify this, this is a Kukkiwon thing.... Kukkiwon has decided to put current masters through a test at the standards they hold, this will be the format that the instructors will have to use at their testings for Kukkiwon certification. This is to make everything for testing seem more equal across the board. For example I had to do a 4 brick side kick for my fourth dan test, and while on youtube I have seen people doing one board side kick for a 6th dan test. This is also going to make only certain instructors eligible to promote their students in Kukkiwon. In America I know of only three instructors who have been allowed this honor. One of them is my own instructor and the other two run schools farther south that I have trained with.

5. Matt

Matt Member

You are allowed to award ranks up to two ranks below your own. This is why most students should wait till third degree black belt to start a school. Because at third degree you may promote people up to first degree.

6. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Not if you want to award a Kukkiwon certificate. That has always been minimum 4th dan to test people. As a 3rd, I think you could recommend, but you would have to get an examiner in.

I'm not going to share any kind of opinion on this matter until more details become clear.

7. canadiankyosa

To me, a 4 brick kick break is as ignorant to do as a multi-board board break with a head butt or almost any joint other than the leg (axe kicks are dumb breaks, as well).

8. Matt

Matt Member

too cal one break stupid over another is ignorant. Why do you get to judge which kick or break is shredder then another? the bricks I broke were 2 inch thick solid concrete supported only on the bottom with nothing holding them together. It was a true test of power and speed. I have done many multiple board breaks (boards being 1in thick) including 5 boards with a side kick and a front kick, no spacers of course. And Axe kick breaks can be quite impressive. Have you ever hit three boards with a 360 axe kick to the head? when you do please tell me that break is stupid.

9. canadiankyosa

My thoughts as I got older and, hopefully, wiser. Would you train by kicking a brick wall? A person's joints are not meant to take the impact something dense like that takes to break. It may be an indication of technique but, when you think about it, bare-fist practice on makiwara and its effects have smartened people to its usefulness pros and cons. To me, someone breaking bricks it trying, mostly to impress while not using their brain like we should. 1-3 boards are not bad but keep adding to that for any technique and your joints are going to really dislike it over time. Keep in mind, boards are much less dense than concrete or similar.

I can point out, training in a hard/soft style, that we teach a person anywhere from 5-105 to break multiple 2" x 4"x 15" patio stone (2000 pds/sq in needed and no spacer cheats) stacks with a strike and walk away with no more than the ol' pins and needles and no hand damage. This strike will cause more damage than any hand strike from most fighting styles.

In the first one, if you add more bricks, you could not do it the way he did. It used a snap of the elbow. If you learned this from Timmerman SJN (or one he taught), he would tell you that you used muscle and not the pure gravity that it uses. This is the way a bottle would be broken (as they do/did in KSW for blue belt).