Competition Nerves & Critique

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Keigo, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Try either as a helper stage:
    • Apply it to front kick, at least it should go down vertically instead of diagonally
    • Put your instep on the target and bend your knee. Take some breath and push your knee to straighten and drop your leg down
    I wouldn't suggest that since the case when you can hit while the opponent blocks is much smaller than direct hit. You will get used to it and most other time hits with your shin instead, and that's not a legal strike (to get points).

2. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Try either as a helper stage:
    • Apply it to front kick, at least it should go down vertically instead of diagonally
    • Put your instep on the target and bend your knee. Take some breath and push your knee to straighten and drop your leg down
    I wouldn't suggest that since the case when you can hit while the opponent blocks is much smaller than direct hit. You will get used to it and most other time hits with your shin instead, and that's not a legal strike (to get points).

3. Keigo

Keigo Member

Just an update and also would like to thank everyone for their advice. Just finished my competition over the weekend, and got a gold this time :D I guess I was pretty lucky (my first opponent was much shorter than me, and both were not as aggressive), I don't think I improved that much during this brief period, but I'll continue working on those suggestions!

Anyway here's a link to both my fights:

Round 1

Round 2

As always, I'm happy to receive any critique/feedback. Thanks all!

Cheers,
    Keigo.

4. Keigo

Keigo Member

Tried to edit but couldn't, forgot to mention I was blue in first round, and red in second lol.

5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

6x head score
    1x body score

This shows something, eh? You still haven't enough power to score though the electric sensor. Fortunately head score is still manually managed and requires no minimum power, though I guess it will change soon with the introduction of sensor in head guard. You really need to work on it. I say kick 200-300 times a day, both legs. 100 per session. Try to do it non-stop in a session, with constant power. If you have electric sensor for detecting force, use it.

No problems with footwork, still OK.

Better guarding with arm, though there are corner cases where you ALMOST got hit.

What happened in the stage 2 to your enemy, in the 3rd round, was exactly what happened to you previously. Out of patience, desperate to score, burden to win, etc. And you easily made a good use of her condition, didn't you?

6. Keigo

Keigo Member

Yes you caught me there >< I've been trying to work on the power of my body kicks since last year, there is some improvement, but as you can see I still can't get the power consistently. Based on feedback, I seem to do fine on kicking shields/mitts, but it doesn't carry through to sparring, especially kicking from awkward positions eg while retreating etc. I suppose I need to practice kicking more from different angles.. I also wonder if it's more of a mental issue because I'm less confident when I kick during sparring (because I know its not a 100% chance of hitting unlike kicking a shield), and I tend to over-think like, what if I over-commit the kick and miss, and I can't recover in time?

You give me too much credit heheh... I'm still not up to that level where I can read such things yet XD It only seemed that way because I got a confidence boost when my instructor told me that I was winning at the end of the 2nd round (I thought I was losing because I had not looked at the scoreboard at all, just totally focused on the fight this time).