Do NOT Punch In A Street Fight

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Kevin, Apr 5, 2012.

1. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

True.

2. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

True.

3. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

Actually not really. I put some quotes of his in some of my points below.

1. Watch the way he is throwing/showing punches. His movements are stiff and awkward and his wrist placement hints nothing at ability to properly fight bare knuckle. So either he's making straw men or he's not even qualified to talk about punches.

2. Broken knuckles will not necessarily end the fight when the adrenaline dump is factored in.

3. Watch street fights online -- lots of them. Watch carefully. Tucking the chin is not a natural reaction to a strike. Putting the hands out and turning the face away is. Tucking the chin between the shoulders is a defensive skill learned in boxing and other arts dealing heavily with punches.

4. "You notice how you strike something hard like someone in the head or something -- and you know that maybe you don't even notice it right then..." -- yeah, you notice it AFTER the fight where you successfully defended yourself and now have time to heal.

5. "I do not want to use my fist a primary tool because, number1, of the pain associated with it." -- which you just said you don't always feel immediately. With the adrenaline dump, you're unlikely to notice a minor fracture while punching someone out to defend yourself.

6. Getting out his combat knife (yeah that's SUCH a great option! we all carry those cuz it's so legal everywhere!) and opening it will be difficult, whether his knuckles are broken or not, because of the great loss of fine motor skills that most people suffer during an altercation. Then a gun...? What if it's illegal to carry in your area? You can't possibly sacrifice powerful techniques for the off chance you'll need to kill somebody.

Here is a good reply to this video:

RTKDCMB likes this.
  4. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

I would caution against describing boxing punches as wild...or did you mean to say the punch was wild, but it's angle was akin to boxing, facilitating the fracture?

Anyway I totally agree about proper punching becoming second nature. It's hard for me to even force myself to punch wrong when I'm trying to show a student what he did wrong and what I want him to fix. I was happy to see you and others jump in as the voice of reason about punching! It's powerful and one of the most important self defense tools you'll ever have!

5. Blue_Knight

Blue_Knight Active Member

Exactly! Perhaps my choice of words was not real clear, but you got it. :) The red belt student's punch was "wild" because it was not controlled as a straight, linear punch that he was 'taught' to do for board breaking to achieve the proper trajectory, angle of impact, and surface of striking tool. It was akin to a typical rear hand boxing punch that tends to curve across the target.

If he was in a boxing match, and intending to punch that way for knock out result, then it would not have been "wild" or out of control. However, he was intending to break a board with a straight Taekwondo punch which of course is designed to impact using the the first two knuckles of the forefist. Since he got himself 'psyched-up' instead of remaining calm and utilizing correct form and skill, his technique was not controlled and therefore became a wildly thrown, arcing punch.

Thanks for catching that phrase, and pointing out the clarification.

Blue Knight

6. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Every bad self defence video out there, like this one, should have a corresponding good video out there, like yours. Good Stuff.

The other videos by the CCQ guy are equally ridiculous.

7. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

Yep I've seen some others. And people all over youtube quote him as a RBSD source...smh

8. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Yeah it stands for Really Bad Self Defense.

GreywulfTKD likes this.
  9. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

I thought it was an elite brand of camo pants and tactical gear that makes you talk really confidently and act like everything is a life or death "situation." If you buy the brand a lot, you start saying "scenario" and "situation" and "street" a lot! Only people who name their made-up martial arts something like Tactical Defense Solutions, Inc. or Personal Security Systems can order! If you deny what you teach is even a martial art, you get an elite tactical discount! Deeper discounts available for ex current military, LEO, and Security workers!

:p

Blue_Knight likes this.
  10. Foggy

Foggy Active Member

I got jumped. I landed about 6 punches with my right hand. Cut an bruised knuckles for about a month.

I would rather that, or even have broken my wrist over the possible outcomes.

bowlie likes this.
  11. Twiz

Twiz New Member

I'd rather use my elbow, in situations like these.

12. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

i'd rather use a weapon, or kick, or not even be there.

there are alot of things that we'd rather do but we don't always have the option

one question i would have about all the thread is: is closing your fist and striking in anger or in a emergency a natural response?

13. tommypress

tommypress New Member

This is so true. The major part of your training should be helping you with self-defense mainly. Throwing punches are actually what amateurs do. The core rules for a fight are:
    : Try and never get into one.
    : If you are in one, defend well and offense only matters when you feel like no way out.
    Even then the best thing is to go for holds and chops rather than punches and fists.

14. Nik Cannon

Nik Cannon New Member

I was told that a swift kick to the knee, disable the opponent, then run is the best measure!

15. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

There is a time that going to the floor could be a better choice bar no edged weapons being available. That time is when winter hits. Try stand up defending on ice or snow.

16. canadiankyosa

As to the second point: I would prefer to follow the advice of Kelly McCann, Wim Demeere, etc. If there is an attack being made on you, there is only one defence that will work: attack (aka violence that is slightly more severe than what is done to you).

17. Matt

Matt Member

Someone mentioned wrist blocks, I LOVE that. Wrists and elbows are great ways to block and execute attacks. I agree, punching in a fight is honestly quite stupid. There are way more effective ways to fight that will cause your body less harm. It is similar to the idea that you should never throw a round kick to the head or a spin hook kick, it is impractical. In most situations you want to stay to the basic and effective techniques and leave the fancy moves to the movies.

18. Ade Tomlinson

Ade Tomlinson New Member

Having cross trained for some 30 years , and being ex forces I can relate to the video as that is standard military praxctice (krav , corps a coure) and another good place to look is an old teacher (meme self defense).
    Withy regards to hands i think as some one who did box the statement uis correct i know loads of guys who have had hand injuries this way but there is a but .
    All martial arts school for TKD to okinawa te to kung fu and clearly say conditioning of the attacking tools is of paramount importance ,,, makiwara ,,, heavy bags are your allies in real world combat situations .
    Ade

19. canadiankyosa

Makiwara and heavy bags are good for a short period of time. If done for extended periods of time, your wrists, and probably elbows, will regret the repeated impacts on them.

20. Matthias F. Duelp

Matthias F. Duelp New Member

selfdefence is much about taking risks - in sports you have to take risks in order to make a strong impression on opponents, judges and such, whereas in selfdefence we are wise to minimize risks as much as possible. So with using the arms the first choice are the elbows, then the hands. With the hands I'd see hammerfists/knifehands (just the openhand version!) and palmstrikes as first choice. The backhand is risky I believe - just try to hit a wall as hard as you can with it. Switch to hammerfist and do the same thing, you'll feel the difference. Usually with a backhand the head is attacked (a super quick and highly valuable tool in pointfighting!) and if things go just a wee bit wrong, the actually pretty week metacarpals will impact the target and might break in the process. They're just not constructed for that type of mechanical stress. So even if it can be done, given a lot of practice, it's not worth to take any risk in an altercation (just like leaving the scene if it can be done, in the first place).
    Moreover we should keep in mind this old rule about hitting soft targets with hard weapons and vice versa - which could bring back in those risky techniques. Because that's what they are, when used on the wrong targets. Of course, just ask the patterns - the older they are, the more obvious they will teach these concepts ...