Does it matter if your school is not affiliated?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Russell, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

Does it really matter if your school is not affiliated with either WT or ITF so long as they teach you correctly and are professional?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

That depends on you and your goals.

If you intend to reach the kind of level where you are internationally active, or you intend to move around the world, or if you intend to train in Korea, then yes, it matters.

If you are not sure about those things but want to keep your options open, it pays to be under an world level organisation.

If you're in it as a leisure pastime, then an independent dojang might serve your purposes. The issue occurs if you get the bug and it becomes a way of life, and then your circumstances change. Life often throws a curveball, and if you have to change dojangs, you'll struggle.

I also find that the farther from the source (take that as you will to mean Kwan / Korea / Kukkiwon / Choi depending on which org) you get, the less meaningful the training becomes. Sometimes to the point where an experienced practitioner can see it has little to no value for the practitioner, but presumably plenty of value for the owner of the dojang.

So, in conclusion, choose what suits your needs, but choose wisely - you never know what the future might hold. For future proofing purposes World Organisation > National Organisation > Local Organisation > Chain > Individual.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rugratzz likes this.
  3. Russell

Russell New Member

Thanks very much for your reply.
    I won't be doing any comps or going overseas to train as I'll die of old age before that happens as I'm already 68yo. LOL
    I just want to learn the art as that will be a big accomplishment in my aging years.
    I have just changed schools as the last school I went to was (in my view) not as professional as I'd like. (I got to red belt)
    I went to this new school's grading the other day and it was run well, certainly quite professional.
    The other school I went to only had 1 or 2 black belts to teach the students. (It is a rural branch so not as many black belt instuctors available compared to the city branches of the same school)
    Because of this, as an example, you would get yellow belts teaching the yellow tip students their pattern when the yellow belts had only just learnt the pattern themselves. Mmmmm, not right to me....
    There were lots of other small reasons why I changed schools and as you know, lots of small reasons end up one large reason to shift. ☺

4. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I agree with Gnarlie. It really depends on what you want out of your training. For those of us who are well over 21, Competitions are not always very high on the agenda. Saying that who knows what the future has in store for us.

Its hard to say what other clubs do, as I can really only talk about the few I have trained at (not that many) If you are just visiting then often just a record book, is enough, and they will/may (for a short period) accept your grade. if you permanently move to the new club, and your grade isnt from an recognised association, they could ask you to start from white belt, or do a assessment grading, to see where you would fit in their grading system.

Finding out the history of your club and instructors, is helpful. When I started at my club, I did that. It will also let you know what path the club is taking (WF, ITF, or none). I would have thought that any instructor would be happy to talk about the clubs history, Mine was, and I had an hour discussion on not only the clubs history but its history back in Korea.

I wish you luck, What ever you decide, be happy and enjoy your training.

5. Russell

Russell New Member

Well, I went to the new school twice this week to train. Definitely staying with them.
    They are professional and seem to teach properly. Yay!
    I've already learnt the first 3 ITF patterns as they are different to Kukkiwon style.
    I hope after assessing me I can jump to green belt. (After the next grading of course)...........................I hope....lol

6. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

That's good news. Hope everything goes well.