Does this dolyo chagi resemble this guys?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

No

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Then I don't know what you are referring to. It states in the TKD instructional that the body should be positioned vertically at the moment of impact, which mine is, and it's certainly more recognizable IMO.

Look at this practitioners posture in comparison http://pandutaekwondo.blogspot.com/2014/03/dollyo-chagi.html

3. Gnarlie

The second picture is wrong. It is clearly the chamber and posture from side kick.That's why you shouldn't believe everything you read online.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I perceived it wrong in the ITF school as well, with no correction, and I asked for input. (first correction was on this very forum, 4 years later). So make that 1-1 Internet vs IRL. No difference, beside the fact that this method is free.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It raises the question though, is there a term for a turning kick with a side kick chamber, to trick the opponent? Is it ever employed in sparring?

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I also want to give blame to the ITF Encyclopedia which nowhere states the chamber parameters for the Dolyo chagi and Yeop Chagi. There is a great emphasis on hip rotation and the trajectory of the swing, as it should, but no mention of the chambers. Photos could have been much better as well.

None of the "incorrect examples" of the dolyo chagi and yeop chaagi involve confused chambering between the two, which it should if proper chambering is a crucial principal to the techniques.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. Gnarlie

That's why we train. You seem keen to assign blame. Just saying.

9. Gnarlie

There are many variants of every kick. It makes sense to first understand and master the basics.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Damn right I am. I asked if i threw the kick correctly and was told that yes. 4 years drilling the wrong technique.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

If the particular chambering is crucial, why isn't it highlighted for example: incorrect; "side kick chambering used"

????

12. Gnarlie

Pre and post kick motions are generally inadequately covered in text.

That's why, as I have said before, it is important to train as close to the source as you can.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Well, I trained very close to the original source, and was never subject to that type of meticulous instruction. I have learned and unlearned more online than 4 years in there. I'm just bitter I didn't post stuff sooner.

14. Gnarlie

Mm. I would recommend being more selective in your choice of sources. We've talked about it before; understanding of technique moves on, but not everything is recorded for posterity. Cutting edge technical coaching isn't always widely available. You have to seek it out yourself, and be meticulous on your journey.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Now then.

I may not know much ...But if that's not a TKD roundhouse kick, then I'm Abe Lincoln.

16. Gnarlie

Too short to say.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

it is correct now. even the rechamber

It doesn't feel natural for the hips kicking this way though (which is why I was reluctant to open them up in the first place).

I'd be curious to see if they feel less tensed by it after a couple of months and the motion feel more natural. Other than that, no complaints..

18. Gnarlie

Looks like side kick leg motion with a dollyo chagi foot to me - especially the rechamber.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You think this looks like a side kick chamber?

Attached Files:

20. Gnarlie

You don't?