Does this dolyo chagi resemble this guys?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Certainly not. I would assume from the body configuration in that photo that a dolyo chagi (or hook kick) is about to get lashed out, and not a side kick.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Side kick and hook kick have similar chambers to one another. Dollyo is different.

The fact that your knee is well through the line of your upper body during the chamber and and post is what makes it closer to hook or side kick than dollyo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying.

4. Gnarlie

Watch this, and think about whether the knee and thigh form a significant angle with the upper body throughout the kick.

This video is not 100% up to date, but it is a close to current mechanics as one can find online. It will help you a lot with power generation and balance through the kick. You may have some difficulty with the required flexibility initially. There is a moment during the hip roll that will use some new muscles if you have not kicked this way.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I never cared much for that instructional, and it's certainly not ITF mechanics.

6. Gnarlie

Neither is what you are doing.

Dollyo doesn't significantly cross centre line in any style.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So I don't exhibit ITF mechanics due to a technical subtlety nobody has made me aware of in ITF? Doesn't that objection answer itself? One thing is deviant, therefore all is, and I might as well do KKW mechanics?

That instructional is further away from ITF than what I'm attempting to do.

8. Gnarlie

What you are doing is quite far removed from the ITF dollyo mechanic. It's not a subtlety. Look up any reasonable ITF dollyo and it will be clear. The knee does not significantly cross the centre line before, during or after the kick. Shoulder, hip, knee and foot are in alignment at full extension.

The basic mechanic behind KKW and ITF dollyo remains similar, when sport kicking is ignored.

I can't comment on why nobody has corrected this if that is your normal attempt at dollyo chagi.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Of course not but I can, they don't care.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

They look nothing like each other:

11. Gnarlie

Pehaps to your eyes. The gross motor mechanic is the same - i.e. The kicking knee aligns with the upper body, not past it. See your video for example.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't think so at all. Compare the rotation.

13. Gnarlie

I'm not talking about the rotation timing. I'm talking about the overall shape of the kick. Neither KKW or ITF cross the line as your kick does. Stick to the point: your kick is not correct.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Ok, does he not cross the center line here in this instructional?

15. Gnarlie

Yes, probably due to lack of flexibility. That's why you don't learn from any old material you might find online.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Thank you.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How is it relevant whether i learn from him by joining his class as opposed to watch his youtube? He would instruct the same

18. Gnarlie

It's not relevant. His kick is also incorrect. Probably because he is 60, and not flexible.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So why bring it up? The internet is clearly not the issue. Yeah it is. He is "schrimping" it. There are young practitioners also guilty of this.

20. Gnarlie

I didn't bring it up. You did by posting that video. The point is your kick is not correct, and now you are looking for a way out of it.

I've consistently said you need to seek out the best training you can find, ideally from the source. Random internet crap isn't that.