Does this dolyo chagi resemble this guys?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

What do you think about this guys newly uploaded dollyo chagi instructional? He looks OK to me

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Too long; did not watch.

Thumbnail looks sport oriented ie half height turning kick. Kicking to the head with that posture is just not a good idea.

Still, knee not crossing line between hip and target.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How do you mean his posture should look like? Sport oriented with ball of the foot, I doubt it.

But speaking of ball of the foot, why is this even taught? You don't use it in sparring and you can't pull your toes back in shoes, and kicking with the toes against a skull will break your toes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. Gnarlie

The hip is not turned in. All the power is coming from the lower leg.
    Then it's just poor posture in terms of power mechanics.
    Depends on the shoes. Hard sole = no need to pull toes back, soft sole = can kick with ball. I find it hard to believe you can't answer this question for yourself.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You think ball of the foot is practical with shoes? There is no elevated risk of jamming the toes? I strongly suspect ball of the foot is a relic from back when people did not wear shoes of the kind we have today....

How about Suskas head kicks? He doesn't generate any real power on the mitts in the clips i've seen, even though his hip flexibility is awesome, which indicates fundamentally sub optimal technique.. does it not?

6. Gnarlie

Kicking in shoes is something that requires personal practice to find out what works.

Regarding Dollyochagi generally, the hip should be in unless deliberately sacrificing power for speed ie in a point sport context. That is all.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I dont know why says that the knee should be bent on impact. The ITF encyclopedia states: the kicking leg should not be bent more than absolutely neccesary at impact.

Going by the book that is..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. Gnarlie

So anyway, back to your kick. It's poor.