Drilling kicks with walking shoes on

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Is this a good conditioning excercise akin to shadowboxing with weights? The theory behind it in boxing is that one would punch faster when released from the weight resistance. There are some arguments for why that hypothesis fails, a boxing coach explained why, but it still builds some muscles.

So, does kicking with shoes do any good? Will it at the very least produce stronger, more enduring legs?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Depends what exercises you do. Kicking air with shoes on is a bad idea, as it puts a lot of stress on your knees.

Leg lifts (not ballistic swings, but active lifts) can help.

Bag kicking in shoes is a bad idea, as it will destroy your kick bag.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Matt

Matt Member

I think kicking with shoes on is very practical, as well as practicing your self-defense with shoes on and in street clothes. How often do you go through your daily day at work or school without shoes on? if someone was to attack you, you would most likely have shoes on and not enough time to tell the attacker "hey wait, please let me take my shoes off." Learning to kick with shoes on or in jeans or in tight clothing is necessary to your training.