Eating healthy

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TKD_nate, Sep 8, 2014.

1. TKD_nate

TKD_nate New Member

Hey guys,
    I am trying to start and eat healthier and I am noticing it is hard especially with everything that says it is healthy. I has hoping you guys could give me advice on eating healthy and some good foods to get, also if you guys know of any good recipes for meals that would be awesome.
    Thanks
    Nate

2. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

Hey
    The only thing i can suggest is doing some of your own homework we won't know what your body needs specifically.

The best website for that in my opinion is
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php

Here are some things I do to ensure I eat healthy.
    I track all my meals everyday, This use to be quite annoying for some folk, tracking on paper was hard, now there are phone apps that can expedite the process if your the type to like using mobile apps.

Ensure you're eating when you're hungry. I use to be the type to ignore my hunger for hours because i was lazy, but this is not good and shouldn't happen.

Don't worry about what you eat too much some unhealthy foods are fine, overdoing is the problem. all things in moderation.

With a bit of quick reading, you can learn quite about nutrition its a well documented topic, and its real easy to learn and understand

3. LMath

LMath New Member

I've had success with baked fish, baked meats, salad, and water. I do like a baked potato from time to time as well.

4. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Lots of Greens, Beans and whole foods

Intercept likes this.
  5. Royen

Royen New Member

Make sure you add green vegetables and fruits in your diet, you can also add fish in your diet- good source of proteins. Add a small bowl of nuts in the breakfast is also beneficial and maintain your energy.

Chrissjuaen likes this.
  6. tommypress

tommypress New Member

The best solution is to find a suitable diet that agrees with your taste and system and then strictly hold onto it no matter what.

northface likes this.
  7. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Nutrition is pretty simple really. Some basic rules:

Eat 60% carbs, 25-30% protein, and 10-15% fat of the typical 1500-1800 calories needed daily for the average male. Fats have more energy (9 calories over 4 in the others) than carbs but metabolize faster if unused (belly gets bigger).

Eat lots of pure fiber. It is needed for digestion, intestinal/blood cleansing, and it is dense so the desire to eat stays off longer.

Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Most dietitians I know have suggested the more colour, the better. Also, vegetables are, typically, a "free" food since you can eat as many as you want and the calories intact is almost 0 but the vitamin content is high.

People like cooking with it but it is bad for the arteries, but coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils (known as tropical oils), do in fact raise LDL cholesterol considerably. Stick with vegetable oils and margarine instead of butter.

There is some question about Omega-3 products and the health benefits they MAY provide.

A handful of walnuts are great per day. There are others that help with cholesterol and there are some that promote it. So, a little research is needed there.

A final suggestion is to use the internet and go to reputable sites (reputable sites means May Clinic, Sunnybrook Health Services, etc and not webMD and such) for nutritional info. Some hospitals (or a gym (I would trust the health care clinic first)) may have nutritionists you can speak to (in Canada, they are usually a free service) or even try the family doctor.

maryf likes this.
  8. maryf

maryf New Member

once you are taking balanced diet, it means alot to body, but do add regular exercise or martial arts in your routine as to prevent being gaining excessive weight. :)

9. northface

northface New Member

Since January I have been drinking more water, avoiding caffeine, reduced sugar intake and increased vegetable intake. What I have noticed is A) i'm leaner (I didn't weigh myself before) B) I am less injury prone C) I can recover quicker between sparring forms and sparring. Nothing major just a few tweaks and it is paying dividends.