Exercises for sparring?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Deathnever, May 2, 2014.

1. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

Hi, I'm Currently a red belt, returning to Taekwondo, I just completed my second month back into the art.
    I would like to enter into tournaments and be a serious competitor by next year. I was wondering what type of drills can i do at home to help my sparring in the dojang.

My master has shown me a few, like basic foot movements and combinations; but anything anyone can add and suggest would be appreciated.

2. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Jumping back kick from close range. practice jumping away and executing the kick.

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I would suggest endurance training, HIIT, Plyometrics, weight training and yoga.

Heck something like P90X would probably be good.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Practice kicking with every kick from every angle and distance, with every type of footwork, forward, back, sidestep, and counter. Practice maintaining a distance and angle such that your opponent cannot kick without adjusting first, while you can kick straight off the bat.

Think about strategy: offensive, defensive or trap.

5. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Great suggestions.
    My tuppence worth, it is important to train the body and the mind i.e. muscle memory is important. Ensure you have the basics right and have the correct technique. Work on speed and endurance. The only way to win is to be better than your opponent so keep that in mind when training. Practice sparring as much as you can and focus on the basic kicks. For instance, you can win an entire match just by turning-kick and counter turning-kick. Start with one type of kick and nail it in terms of speed, distance, timing etc and build up from there.