Fabricio Werdum connects with flying side kick in UFC!

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, May 7, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

The opponent saw it coming and rolled with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

It did damage, but not huge. The opponent already moves backward, that reduces the impact quite a lot. Flying side kick never generates enough force to knockout, not when at that range your leg is already extended to maximum, unless it's combined with forward movement of the opponent. Side kick is a push kick, not snap kick, the power it generates require as short distance as possible with kicking leg bent before straightened to deliver damage.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Yeah he did actually. But why didn't he put his hands up if he saw it coming?

6. Gnarlie

See if you can answer your own question.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I don't get the impression that he understands what's happening.

8. Gnarlie

By the time he saw it coming it was too late to get his hands up, but not too late to move his head. This is often the case - in real time it's difficult to recognise something coming in time to move a hand to block it, but flinch evasion is nearly always possible unless it's a total blindside.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Have a look at this reverse turning kick KO

It's heavily telegraphed and slow. Would hardly work even on a middle of the road Taekwondo fighter. But Leko cannot parry it.

There is something about the reactions of non TKD guys to kicks that normally won't work.

10. Gnarlie

All about the timing.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

... Just step out of the way

12. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Not something that will cross your mind and do if you're there. That's a fast kick that only a trained natural instinct can evade or at least defend.

Gnarlie likes this.
  13. Gnarlie

Very true. It was also feinted as a back side kick, and moved up. Note how the defender's hands drop to cover for the side kick which never comes. The kick doesn't need to be fast, it just needs to be timed right.

Very difficult to read and block or evade. Only flinch head movement could have helped, but on this occasion the defender blind-spotted himself by dropping his hands and blocking his view of the kick.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

That's why I said that an experienced guy would move out of the way, because it's a spinning kick of some sort telegraphed a mile away

15. Gnarlie

Experience can be a disadvantage when dealing with feints, as it was in this case.

It's part of the chess of TKD - the more experience you have, the more likely you are to have a conditioned response which can be exploited with a feint.

Remaining unpredictable and therefore less susceptible to feints is one of the greatest challenges that accompanies experience.

16. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Yep, just like my current natural response to any spinning movement: crouch. This is due to old experience that many spinning movement ended up in spinning hook kick, so my body developed a natural response by crouching. This can be a fatal movement if the spin ends up in back kick to the body, as it will hit my head instead. Thankfully, I'm done with kyorugi competition so that is unlikely to happen.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I'm a lousy TKD fighter, and still having sparred high level guys who throw much faster spin kicks (aimed to my head) than that and they never land. One guy in particular never listens to the instructor and always goes full contact. But since I know my kicks pale compared to him, I just evade and await my opening.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

That guy also throws his in combinations, but I'm just never there to be hit. Constantly circling, not a stationary target.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Crouching is often used by non kickers who get sick of body kicks. You can see how Jon Jones threw body kicks and provoked the crouhing motion by Daniel Cormier just one more time to switch to a head kick. One of the things these guys must learn is that they may need to eat a few body kicks, because the alternative is disastrous.

Last edited: May 14, 2018