Fast twitch muscle fiber (video)

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh common, you know full well I was referring to physically healthy individuals. Yes I do know plenty, healthy younger ones than me and their flying sidekicks are lackluster, to put it mildly. The ones I've seen on youtube by national competitors aren't convincing either.

There are competitons in aerials that I have not seen, but I imagine those are at least better.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

And if you do the same search you can find people who's techniques are amazing. Unless you actually know the person you cannot comment on the way they do their techniques. There maybe a reason. Like my instructor, my hips are shot, years of judo, karate and now tkd. I need to drop my knee. We did flying kicks before Christmas, not too ashamed of my efforts, but I suffered for the next week. I prefer to keep my feet on the ground.

I am not sure what competitions you've been looking at, but it's not really the best place to be looking for good techniques, unless it's poomse.

At the end of the day if you don't like the quality of your instructors or other students go somewhere else where they are more to your liking. Rather than complaining about the bad, learn from the good.

RR

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Fine but why do you duck the elephant in the room? Is my flying side kick that of an average student?

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

For your age, it's nothing particularly special. I see plenty as good or better from young fit people.

You're kicking down at the camera and your leg and upper body positioning is poor.

Get over yourself, please.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Age beyond elderly is irrelevant. I guarantee you I can do that long into my senior years. My 57 year old assistant instructor has better cardio than us. It's just a number.

6. Gnarlie

Good luck with that.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

At what arbitrary age do you think I can't do that anymore? It's individual. I can do it at least 10 more years. I am a good jumper. Don't see that going away anytime soon!

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

There are people who don't even believe I jumped from the floor. I rest my case. :cool:

9. Gnarlie

Again, good luck.

10. Gnarlie

What case? The case to prove something to a room of martial artists with more experience than you? Or the case to prove that you are so desperate for approval, so desperate to be special in this endeavour that you are willing to make a fool of yourself in said room by posting pictures of average or below technique and insisting that it is something exceptional?

Rugratzz likes this.
  11. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

It depends on how long you have been training, Your roundhouse kick. I actually took some youngsters yesterday to see if they were ready for their grading next week, I checked how high they could actually kick, and the quality of the kick, I am not going through the whole list, I would compare yours to a orange belt, green at best, you're probably not going to like the answer, Personally I dont care, you asked, not me. I have three "pandas" (under 8) who would put you to shame, I have a few 13-15 year olds again would put you to shame. And a number of adults, from 3rd kup to 4th dan. So on those numbers If you came to our club you would be on the lower side of average, unless you were a beginner.

Why do you need praise? Why do you want people to say wow that was great, amazing, I wish I could do that. You have put a couple of pictures, on the site for people to give their opinions, they are giving them, but instead of taking their, criticisms and trying to improve, (there are people on here with many, many years of experience, they have taught hundreds of people, who in turn have taught others) you argue.

I think your original question should have been more like, how can I improve my kicks, then show the picture. You would have had far more positive replies, that's the amazing thing about martial arts, we can all improve from white belts to masters, its an on going learning process.

My son 10 asked our grand master, Choi Kyoung An, 9th dan "do you know everything about TKD" his reply, (paraphrased) "no I am still learning. I learn new things from everyone, You must always keep your mind, ears and eyes open, or you wont get better"

Look this is my opinion, take it or leave it, your choice.

RR

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Because it's BS by users with negative agenda towards me. Means absolutely nothing. You said yourself that my phrasing
    of the question affect the response, so there you go.

I am not humble nor likeable. Get over it. I did not say I am perfect either. But average I am not.

13. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

With respect that is not a question but a statement....

Again with respect the attitude in your statement won't encourage people to help you or give you advice help when needed.

I think the way you see yourself is the problem, you say you are not likeable, or humble. And you go out of your way to confirm the way you look at yourself. Shame really!

Comparing your technique to some of the children and adults in my club, average you are not, with work you can get better.

RR

Gnarlie likes this.
  14. Gnarlie

Yes, that seems a likely explanation. Of course, Occam's Razor would suggest that the simplest explanation is most often the correct one. We'll get to that in a second.

Oop, there it is.
    There's nothing for us to get over. Your behaviour affects how people react to you, therefore it affects you. You need to get over it, not us.
    Wishing it won't make it true. You are not special. Sorry if that interferes with your world view.

Rugratzz likes this.
  15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

First of all, you are not the final arbitrer of what is average. Second of all, several of your side kick criticisms
    stem from a modern, forms obsessed Taekwondo perspective, compared to the old school power focused that I hail from. I have been taught to make accentuated leans by instructors twice your experience. You don't know what you are talking about criticising my leans. Thirdly, I can't tense my foot properly due to a freak acccident in sparring, and this also affects the trajectory of the kick.

16. akisbat

akisbat Member

Why try so hard ? And why are you in such denial ? If I heard something like what Gnarlie and RR told you I would go and search what is wrong with me or my technique, not how I can be right in this conversation. It should give you motivation to get better. You have placed yourself so high that you leave no room for improvement and I mean both mentally and physicaly. Martial Arts are about becoming better people and practitioners , not being in need to be better than others.

I am not trying to prove myself better or anything, I am a 21 year old 1st Dan and I sometimes help my master with the kids' training. But when I see someone who I think has bad technique I go and help them get better, I don't do a "look at me" presentation or whine about having bad students in the Dojang, I try to fix the "problem" (if you can call it a problem).

Now, I could tell you as an advice of my 7 years of practice (not many , but enough to know ) that you need to stay humble but that is not gonna work. So what I will tell you and I am sure of it because it has happened too many times is (to me as well) , with all due respect, that if you continue act so arrogant you are gonna have (please execuse me on that) your a** kicked.

Rugratzz likes this.
  17. Gnarlie

True, but I do see and improve a hell of a lot of sidekicks. This allows me to place you on a broad range of skills as average or below for your age. It also allows me to place you on attitude, which is way below average.
    Wrong. My comments stem from a well-founded biomechanical and kinesiological understanding of the kick, and a Taekwondo education which began old school and modernised.

Glad you're doing what you have been taught. Doesn't mean it's optimal. It's pretty clear you don't know what experience I have.
    I really do. I have spent time face to face interviewing and getting coaching from World Hanmadang power breaking champions. These are people who aim to generate as much power as possible, even to the point of not worrying about what happens post kick. The lean less than you do.

So why post a pic / vid and then expect everyone to tell you how awesome you are. Why not wait until you are at your best if you're so in need of validation from strangers on the net?

Rugratzz likes this.
  18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You don't even chamber your sidekick the same way in the KKW. I guarantee you photos from the late 60s early 70s ITF would be graded an F by you. They leaned as much if not more than I do. And they didn't give a rats behind how it looked. There's footage online of the original masters, I will show you it.

Just because it's true for them doesn't mean it's true for me. We don't generate force the same way to begin with. If our methods differ, any comparison is irrelevant.

I was genuinely curious if haters online requesting me to kick would jump on it or not. Amazingly, they did not think it was bad. Even injured.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Chong Moo pattern performed at 8:16....

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

This is NOT a strong body posture for a side kick, and I take it you know who it is on the picture.

Attached Files: