fight quest : hapkido

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by michael mckenna, Dec 24, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

i didnt know much about hapkido before watching this and i like the way it looks especially the self defence techniques and the sparring

3. akisbat

akisbat Member

I have watched this video and I find it great ! Also , my best friend practice Haphido and is a green belt. Hapkido is a very good and usefull martial art in many situations. TKD has been influenced by Hapkido in its grappling and self defence techniques, but it doesn't concentrate on striking. You can say that TKD and HKD are like brothers ! :)

michael mckenna likes this.
  4. michael mckenna

combining them both would be a very effective defence styles, that's actually what north korea does in the military, i would love to learn hapkido but there is very very little in scotland there is one dojang in glasgow and one in edinburgh both very out of reach

akisbat likes this.
  5. akisbat

akisbat Member

I'm sorry to hear that. But yes combining both of them would be very effective ! I am also thinking of learning hapkido but later on , after I gain my 1st dan in TKD !

Oh and take in mind that there are different styles of Hapkido around ! Pick what you like !

michael mckenna likes this.
  6. Melody

Melody Member

My Korean Grandmaster is also trained in Hapkido and we have practiced a few of these techniques for demonstrations.
    They make them look so easy but when you first begin you realize you do t know wher to put your feet, how to move after the grab and how to get your shoulder or hip in place for the throw. We haven't learned the leg sweep yet, maybe that will come later. This was a great post, thanks for sharing! Wouldn't it be a dream to go to a place like this and train all day!

akisbat and michael mckenna like this.
  7. michael mckenna

ive often thought it would be for both hapkido and taekwondo lol

Melody likes this.
  8. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Kuk sool hapkido is my style. In reality, hapkido focuses on use of hands and feet. It would be a compliment to tkd, as well since some schools use many, and some would say too many, kicks. We focus on less. Do not be mislead, martial arts on the street is not what you see in movies, training videos, or demonstrations. Most of the time, you may get one or two kicks in, but, in reality, traditional or sport art could get you killed in street situations. Read books by Alain Burrese and Marc MacYoung before deciding it does. Do not get me wrong. The locks and manipulations are a definite plus to know, but all of the training you do will not help you until you develop the "kill or be killed" street attitude.

You do not know how to do a leg sweep, one of the most basic things a beginner must know? It is simple. Swing the leg in a large arc at the opponent's archilles tendon or calf pressure points and coninue the arc right through.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  9. michael mckenna

in alot of places ive been to ive always brought my kill or be killed framed of mind with me i think its seriously important to have the instinct to survive no matter what

canadiankyosa likes this.
  10. Manus

Manus New Member

Hapkido is a great martial art that has moves from Taekwondo (for example kicks) but also completely unique throws and take downs.

11. canadiankyosa

As an art, I love studying kuk sool hapkido. If it came down to using most of them in an actual self defense situation? Forget it, for the most part. If it is a simple assault, fine. It may work. If it comes down to a brawl, as many fights would, forget it. If they pull a knife, forget the techniques you learn in Korean arts. They will get you more injured (or dead) than anything else.

12. michael mckenna

i disagree on if it comes down to a brawl or if someone pulls a knife ive been taught many techniques in taekwondo to deal with those situations and unfortunatly ive encountered those situations before and used what i learned, these days korean arts are becoming more and more modern constantly updating strategys and techniques. im sure the hapkido master i have conversations with that lives in glasgow would disagree with you. but each persons opinion is only valid with themselves so doesnt really matter in the end.

Gnarlie likes this.
  13. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I think it's fair to say that the techniques, strategies and philosophy of Korean Martial Arts can be adapted into a modern self protection system. It needs some work though.

Although there is a great divide between modern self defence writings and KMA as traditionally taught, one shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because those modern writers say so. There's valid stuff there, but it needs to be solidified and tested.

14. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Then I would say you are either doing it wrong, were taught wrong or or are in the wrong martial art for you. There are plenty of techniques and strategies in KMA's that will work in those self defense situations you mentioned.

15. canadiankyosa

You may want to argue the issue with Alain Burrese, Kelly McMann (aka Jim Wagner), Marc MacYoung, Loren Christensen, and others, over me. I happen to agree with them based on their years of street experience and police/military added to Asian martial arts mastery.

You cannot, and would be a fool too really attempt to, use pressure points, wrist locks, or a lot of kicks, easily, in a real street. For basic self defence, sure, I think it would work, but in situations demanding all out brawling, what you learn in "Korean karate" and such will not work. The same with BJJ and such. Also, most of the techniques you learn in Korean martial arts for knife defence would get you killed. If you think otherwise, again only a fool would attempt them.

I would suggest checking out Alain Burrese's website. He as all the mentioned realistic self defence dvds by the people I mentioned. Some are available elsewhere on the internet if you look hard enough and most have written books on real self defence, too, and are most definitely to be read.

16. LMath

LMath New Member

I've trained in police work in both military and civilian sides and we have always trained and used pressure points, wrist locks, punches and kicks. They work, period.

The military also teaches the same techniques in hand to hand combat. Sure, other things are taught as well, but to act as if pressure points, wrist locks, punches, and kicks won't work is ludacris.

17. canadiankyosa

Sorry, I will take my training, what I see when people fight, and the words, and actions, of proven street fighters (one of which I have have met a few times and been to his seminars) and hapkido masters. I guess a person who trained in special ops (and as a sniper), trained in karate, taekwondo, and is a 6th degree in traditional hapkido and fought many times in street BRAWLS. In simple self defence, tkd, hkd, and all the Asian arts that are made to seem the be-all-end-all, MAY work because pressure points do not always word depending on the person, their mental state, and even the times of day.

No offence intended, but I have seen what a couple of the people I listed can do and all would use little of their martial arts training (one, at least, used it as a door man and bouncer). You have unproven words about your creds and too man people online attempt to preen their feathers.

My role on this thread is, mostly, done except to read new comments.

18. LMath

LMath New Member

So my words are unproven, yet yours are supposed to be taken for gospel? I'm glad I understand where you are coming from....

19. canadiankyosa

The people I mentioned proved it to me. I do not care one iota what a reader thinks of my words. It is up to them to do the research as I did. I have been around long enough to know some basic truths is all.

20. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

I would tend to trust the words of the many people in my art that have used their skills and knowledge successfully and effectively in real world altercations, some of them even using kicks. Statistically most of the techniques in any martial art will not be used in self defense. No one in my art would be brawling with anyone, it is used for self defense, someone attacks you you defend and finish, you do not brawl with them. If you don't have confidence in your art and the skills you learn there after a long time training then it is time to find a new art. Wrist locks, pressure points and kicks have their place in real world self dedense so long as they are used appropriately.

21. LMath

LMath New Member

Great post. I'm all for debate and for learning other ways of self defense, but when people start acting like their way is the only way and saying they don't care what anyone else says, then it tends to turn people off. I know in my personal experience I've seen pressure points, wrist locks, and kicks take numerous people down. I've used them to take people down. When you work in corrections, you have plenty of opportunities to learn what does and doesn't work. Those inmates love to fight.