Fighting and Martial Principles

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Gnarlie, May 21, 2013.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Hi all

In a conversation with Bowlie in another thread, the following question(s) have come up. I would be interested to get your views.

What principles are present in fighting / martial arts that transcend technique?

What are the threads that link all techniques?

I'll say no more as I'm more interested to understand your viewpoints rather than broadcast my own.

UK-Student likes this.
  2. Todd Pomeroy

Todd Pomeroy New Member

Angle, distance, tool (knowing when to use the right technique), timing, speed, accuracy, focus and equilibrium (balance).

Gnarlie and John McNally like this.
  3. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Defence and appropriate retaliation.

Mike Nickson and Gnarlie like this.
  4. Eric Hauck

Eric Hauck New Member

Honesty and Respect.

UK-Student, Collier1313 and Gnarlie like this.
  5. Mike Nickson

Mike Nickson New Member

Think I would have to go with correct response, my this I mean a level headed response that is the level required for the situation. Cool response that deals with the situation in hand proportionally, this is of course meaning of an instance of something outside an organised session.
    Inside the ring so to speak I would say speed and variety - This is my biggest problem with sparring. I regularly am up against lots of black belts in training (last night included) some of whom compete a lot, even for the country and I can only ever think of 2 or 3 moves and they see them coming from a mile away.. It will come with time I am sure (I hope anyway) but you need to re-act with the best move fast - Need the instinct to kick in

John McNally and Gnarlie like this.
  6. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

I don't think there are any distinct technical parameters that cross across all fighting techniques (wrestling muscles are not by and large striking muscles). As Virgil Hunter says: "Get good at what you are doing by doing what you are doing".

What I do think is important in the long term is to balance two things:

1) Team spirit, humility, desire to help others and form deep bonds
    2) Ill will, "gameness", gamesmanship, the desire to pressure and humiliate opponents

You need to have both of these and be able to control both and move between them at will. Too much of number 2 and noone wants to train with you and you probably aren't a good teacher or team player. Too little of number 2 and you end up toothless - willing to pick off single points but not to simulate a real competitive opponent in sparring or to real your own potential. I have held myself and my opponents back by being from time to time "too nice". More meaningfully, you have to have the desire to beat people down somewhere in your training to call upon for real life application. If you don't feel during a firefight in sparring like you are pushing your hardest to beat the other guy, how can you push your hardest to fight for your own life? You don't have to develop this through sport but develop it somewhere nonetheless.

My pattern is to meet people (same level people, not those I would try to coach) in dojang, talk with them, shake hands and joke - then spar competitively as possible - then afterwards to talk, to compliment them on what they did well, to joke. This doesn't mean necessarily that you hit each other hard - just that you are willing to pressure and embarrass them if you can, make it as one sided a beat down as possible, not to let them finish any technique, to dominate. Of course, maybe you do a half speed round or some limited attack sparring as well, but there has to be some competitiveness somewhere.

Its possible to train martial arts without approaching this dichotomy and trying to master it, but I don't think that that method works very well for learning sport techniques or self defence techniques.

Equally, a dojang where there is no communal spirit or team spirit - no one talks or knows each other.....I think that can be a little sad - we all need help from each other. We all joined a martial art to be part of something. If we have hard times, we need to know that everyone supports us and wants us to succeed so that we can have the strength to keep trying.

Gnarlie likes this.