Food that can support flexibility

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mario Ray Mahardhika, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I've been researching all these years whether the food we eat defines support for our flexibility training or not. It seems like some foods do help, while others make you stiff. However, I can't find which food exactly help because I almost always eat combinations of food. Do any of you know? In my age I feel like my muscles get stiff back (after some stretches) faster than in my teenage days.

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Never heard of this, but interesting. maybe foods with natural anti-inflammatory properties like pinapple?

3. DisK0nn3cT

DisK0nn3cT New Member

That's awesome that you posted this. My daughter was recently diagnosed with juvenile arthritis in her knee and foot. One of the things they recommend for treatment is going on a special diet which eliminates gluten (wheat) and diary. That diet is basically an "anti-inflammatory" diet. There are many foods out there (mostly processed, salty, sugary, frozen, packaged foods) that cause the body to have an inflammatory reaction which has been linked to the core of many diseases, etc. After reading your post, I knew there was a connection. I can't post links yet, so go to google and search "Anti inflammatory flexibility".

My wife and I have jumped on board with the anti-inflammatory diet and I have been feeling great. It would be hard to make a direct correlation with my stretching ability since there are so many factors that go into it, but overall the diet has made me feel 100% better. Another similar diet which is very popular is called the Paleo diet. I suggest looking into both of them. Giving up these kinds of foods is VERY difficult at fast, but like all things, gets easier the more you do it and sooner or later you don't even miss the other food.

Hope that helps in some way.

4. Tom.D

Tom.D Active Member

heya Mario, this is one link that I have found very useful: http://theabsgym.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Athletic-Body-Meal-Planner.pdf . I know it doesn't give exact answers, but it's a start. Food topics always give statistics of Nutrition, staple diets etc.. I personally find when hunting down healthy foods for TaeKwon-Do practitioners that there isn't very much information available as it usually comes back to personal food preferences. I know milk improves your calcium which makes your bones stronger and oily fish can improve your joints so that may help you? I have been looking into a lot of HEALTHY foods for a long while myself, and I would love it if anyone else in the forum could possibly make up a TaeKwon-do monthly food planner as it would be a great starting block :) . I hope that link was useful to you Mario :)

5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Hmm... I've gotta look for some changes since I don't like eating fishes. Thanks for the link anyway

Tom.D likes this.
  6. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If you need a source of Omegas and you don't like eating fish, try Udo's Choice oil, available from Amazon. It's completely plant based.

Plant based Glucosamine and Chondroitin substitutes are also available online.

7. Tom.D

Tom.D Active Member

you
    you're more than welcome :)

8. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

There is this tribe that does something called the "running hunt". They track the footprints of one deer and chases after it, but the hunter is not allowed to spear it until the deer submits from exhaustion or stops running. When they saw how western people ate they where shocked by the fact that we ate so much of the muscle. They called it "heavy food", usually they would only eat edible parts on the inside and save the meat. They believed that meat made you slow, unflexible and heavy.

Point is, they would probably support you in choosing fish, but also liver and such of animals. I've also read that there was something inside carrot that could promote flexibility. I don't have any sources, I was told by my friend Benjamin is studying personal trainer and physiotherapy in Enchede, known as one of the better schools in Europe. I take it he has read it in one of his books.