Games?

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Deathnever, May 1, 2015.

1. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

to be honest, I've run short on games for the young childrens class who are usually ages like 4-6.

Anyone know any good games?
    We have a relatively small school too.

also, my younger childrens class is mostly girls

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

relays are great for kids
    games that involve kicking and counting are good
    tkd tag where you try to touch your opponents shoulder or hip
    anything getting them to imitate an animal will be a big hit

4. Matt

Matt Member

paddle ball

Its a sport tat was invented by my head master and it is now used all over the east coast of the USA. it focus on conditioning and team work.

Rules: basically set up two goals each with a goalie that may use any part of their body and a kicking paddle. Each player gets a kicking paddle (work better if you rip out the foam and cover them with ductile, blue and red, so you can designate teams). It is played like soccer, hockey, lacrosse, feel hockey, and polo. Basically you and your team must get a small ball (usually made up of ductape) to the other side of the room. You may kick the ball and use your paddle to hit it. There are no rules and everything goes just no hitting one another or doing anything with the intent to cause harm.

5. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Member

Sabomnim says: Like Simon says, but Taekwondo. Pretty much anything that causes them to think as well as act - it harmonises the mind and the body.

Fight or Flight: All students stand in a circle around a ball facing outward and are given a unique number. The instructor calls a number and that student turns, picks up the ball and tags someone with it (make it soft as it will be thrown). Everyone else runs for the edge of the mat or whatever defined boundary you impose. It's like dodgeball but they learn to quickly process the decision to run or fight (go for the ball). Additionally, those who are running must be aware of their environment as the ball could be coming for them.

Scarecrow tag: A normal game of tag, but if you are tagged you stand still like a statue until someone who is not tagged crawls between your legs to let you go free. Make it Taekwondo by having them stand in horseback stance instead of like a scarecrow. Once everyone has been tagged, the first person to be tagged is 'it' for the next round (if you have time for one).

Magic Mirror: Students pair off with one student in each pair being the 'mirror'. The student who isn't the mirror may perform any basic hand action from a stance of your choosing on either side but they must do it slowly ('tai chi' style). The mirror must copy them. It causes confusion and hilarity as they use the wrong side, etc. But it is excellent for building up ambidexterity as the mirror will often end up doing the actions on their non-preferred side. As a bonus, since everything is being done at super slow speed, it's easy to pick up on technical errors which you can correct.

6. Dusty

Dusty New Member

I tie a kick paddle to the end of a belt

All students stand in a circle, I will swing the paddle round at ground level. As it comes to the students they must jump over it, if it touches their foot they are out until the next round.
    I will also swing it at above head height where they must lie face down quickly, when I drop to ground level again they must get up quickly and jump.

I use a very soft, lightweight paddle so if the kids do make contact it simply glances off.

Also flying side kick "competitions" over small targets on the ground and kickshields on their sides.

7. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss New Member

Balloon Relay Race. Each team Must move the balloon down the floor and back in relay race fashion using a specific technique like Punch or front snap kick. Balloons are difficult to control so it makes for lots of fun.

8. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Balance, memory, listening skills, and such. There are things for each age range that a great coach will develop. For the ages you state, as one sample, simple motor skills are highly advised for starters.

9. JediCat3

JediCat3 New Member

Alphabet Challenge: I have a stack of index cards. On one side is a letter of the alphabet. On the other are TKD techniques and terms that start with that letter. I'll hold up a letter, say M. Students must call out and do techniques that start with that letter. So, for M, I'd take "middle area punch," but even better would be something in Korean, like Maggi or Moke Chiggi.

10. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I made some dice patterns (4 and 8 sided) and put some with exercises, taegeuks, and actions, (walk like a monkey, or crocodile), cut them out and laminated them, then cut them out again and stuck them together, the are much stiffer and can handle being stepped on. I also did one with what we call stress taegueks, where you do say 30 burpees then do pal jang, or 20 situps and 20 squats then do Oh jang, great for teaching breathing control.

If anyone wants the patterns let me know and I will post them.

RR

11. JediCat3

JediCat3 New Member

Ooh, yes, please to the dice templates.

Gnarlie likes this.
  12. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Just about to start training will do it when I get back ok

RR

Gnarlie likes this.
  13. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Sorry its a bit later than I expected, it was our AGM.

Yellow.jpg

Taeguek.jpg

I do have a load more but this gives you an Idea, The spelling may be different as its for Danes. I guess I could put them all in a pdf and then you could print them as you want them, let me know. you can also use paint to delete the print and put your own text in.

RR

14. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I am not sure if I can upload a zip file but here goes its only PNG files, in a zip file

See what you think

RR

Attached Files:

15. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

RR, what is skift?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

16. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Sorry I really should have translated skift=change so you move from one stance to the other.

You can really do what you like with them, the kids love them, I am going to do some with pictures on, as most of the pandas 5-7 year olds are not very good at reading. I am doing some with exercises on, like a circuit on a dice. you need to complete all the exercises,
    Edit
    so you may be doing the same one a few times.

RR

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  17. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Just a thought, once you have cut them out you can get a 4 and an 8 sided dice on a singe sheet of laminate, you need to play about a bit with it.

Once you start thinking about the possibilities, the list is almost endless, maybe I need to patent it, HA HA.

Whoever uses them please let me know how you got on with them , and any changes you think needs to be done.

I did these mainly for the children, but I have used them in our adult class and they really enjoyed them. at the end of the day they are a bit of fun as well.

18. JediCat3

JediCat3 New Member

Awesome! Thanks!

Rugratzz likes this.
  19. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

You're welcome :cool: Anything that can make teaching
    Fun and easier has to be good. As I said please let me know what your students think
    As I do more I will put them in a zip file and post them

If you really want to knacker you students (really make them work and suffer) I will post
    One that kills your legs I will put it up here. I tried it
    And it took me two days to get over it.

There is a site called darebee, they have some great
    Work outs.

RR

20. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I expect most of you know remember the up/down sally, I was teaching the little one yesterday, and use the music from moana (you're welcome) ever time they hear You're welcome they have to do pressups or sit ups (your choice) gets a little crazy at the end but the children find it fun.

RR

21. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

As a thought has anyone tried the dice yet.

RR