Getting my dobok white

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Rugratzz, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Hi guys

I have a light dobok the trousers (pants) are fine but the jacket has become off white possibly due to perspiration. Any ideas on how to get it white again. I have tried vinegar and vanish (not at the same time) if you can suggest anything that can help that would be great. It's only a year old!

I don't want to use bleach of I can help it as I don't know how it will react with the material.

RR

2. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Bleach works but, keep in mind, the material will weaken if put in for too long and if the bleach is full strength. Keep in mind that chlorine bleach is not, usually, colour safe either. Trying a colour safe brand may work the same way. Try this:

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/laundering-item-bleach/

3. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Is clorox a normal bleach at don't get it in Denmark.

RR

4. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Just a brand name. Any chlorine bleach diluted the way they describe should work. You can cut their recommendation in half and try that first (and on a very small area of the uniform or an identical old one) Note, perspiration stains are, usually, a yellowish colour on a white, usually hits the armpits mostly.

5. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Thanks will give it a go fingers crossed

RR

6. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Well I tried it and the jacket is whiter, still not as white as the trousers but you have to really look to see the difference.

So thanks for the advise, I guess its not good to do it very often.

RR

7. Mike PIckle

Mike PIckle New Member

The very best way to whiten a uniform without worrying about the bleach harming the patches or collar is to use Oxi-clean, it is nothing but concentrated peroxide. Place uniform in clothes washer or tub with water to cover it and allow it to float freely in the water. Place the recommended amount of Oxi-clean in the washer/tub, mix in well and leave overnight. Rinse the next day and dry.