Giving up on a Student

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Rugratzz, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

OK here is the story.

We have a young guy 8. he suffers with ADHD, he started to come to the class about 2 months ago. From day one he was difficult to teach. he will stand still for a few seconds that's it. most times he wont even make it through the start and finish, he just runs off around the dojang. climbing up the walls. We tried a dedicated assistant, who would be with him throughout the lesson, as he was taking up so much of our time trying to get him back. partner work is almost impossible, after a couple of reps he is off again, not fair on his partner (who ever that is). He understands that he cannot just run off, not only for his safety but the safety of others, it makes no difference. We have talked to his mother, who just seems to brush the problems off, and expects us to sort this little guys problem out.

Its become a real problem for most of the instructors, that they want him removed from the class (I dont blame them really, as we all know teaching young ones is hard enough) I am leaning that way, but I dont want to give up on him. I have had only two other children that I have asked to leave the class, one was a 10 year old that was very aggressive, If he thought that someone looked at him in a way he didn't like he would basically attack them, it didn't matter if it was an adult or another child. And another who just wouldn't do as he was told.

Any Ideas, how I/we can get through to him. (I thought about getting his mother to joint he class, but she doesn't want to) Or do I just fail this boy and step in line with the others.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Speak directly with him alone about why he comes to class. Find out if he enjoys it or if he is forced. If he is forced, ask him if he enjoys class. Either way, ask him what he thinks he can do to make his time in class better. Get him to make you a simple promise about his behaviour that he comes up with himself, and hold him to it when he misbehaves. You need a pledge thet comes from him - including what he thinks should happen if he breaks his promise. Clearly agree this point, write it down on a wooden board, and stick to it. At the end of the forst session where he sticks to it, get him to break the board in front of the group. If he doesn't, keep the board and wait for next time.

Also encourage the other kids to lead him bu example.

Sometimes I get ideas by asking kids what they think I expect from them in training. Our dojang rules were made by the kids.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I like the idea about the board, he loves coming to TKD, for some of the children (not many) I think we are classed as a babysitting service, drop the children off, and run! I know he wants to do try hard, and be better, I can see that. I will call his mum later today and talk to her.

I was thinking about having some one on one time, (funny it covers our last discussion about using the same lesson plan) lesson to have a beginning middle and end. When he is focused he is quite good, and his techniques are basically getting there. I joined his lesson, (not the instructor) as his partner, when he started to loose it, we just did something else, I asked him to hold my hand when there were to many things going on in his mind. Then went back to it after a while. It seemed to work. He loves self-defence, I think I will give that a go.

Thanks for the Ideas, I really dont want to fail this boy. Unfortunately summer holidays start at the end of next week, Denmark closes down especially for clubs, (our club trains once a week) throughout the holidays.

5. Gnarlie

I've never given up on a kid. Parents, on the other hand....

6. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Youre making me feel really bad :( Well I talked to his mum and they are going away for a week towards the end of the holidays, so I have agreed with her, that we will have some one on one time every week. She also told me that his medication is too low as the doctors were trying to find out the best level for him.

Gnarlie likes this.
  7. Gnarlie

Don't feel bad, I have thought about it many times haha.

Sounds reasonable. Most hyper kids can be brought into step with the class over time. They need to know that they are being heard in my experience.