Gnarlie's Questions

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Finlay, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Gnarlie posted a set of question last week, I have choose a few to answer below

In a situation where violence is likely, what should you concentrate on?
    Depending on the detial of the situation, leaving is usually the top priority. If i can walk/run away then that i what i'll do. I may have to attack first in order to give me a couple of seconds advantage. howver if in a situation where running away is not possible, maybe in my own home or if i have family with me, then hit first.

You have been asked to run a self-defence course for beginners. Content is up to you. What do you include?
    First it depends on the group of people, age, gender, occupation. I would do pad drills, based on stress situations. the 'common' attack i would include would be based on who they are

Is learning about the culture that a martial art was born in important? Why?
    I think it is important but not to be obsessed over. Important becasue we need to understand where certain practices came from. with that understanding we can evaluate the practices based on real information. for example, in some other japanese based arts there are techniques for grabbing the belt or the topnot, since these are not really applicable and should be modified. However, it is very easy to get buried in culture and use it to replace phsycial ability, they you can be come soem one standing at the side of the do jang telling eveyone that they are wrong but not actually being able to do any of the 'right' techniques yourself.

What ridiculous cliches have you encountered?
    the phrase " i never quit in training"
    kihaping all the time (even when that person was getting hit)
    the phrase 'walk like a tiger' being shouted to someone during an exam
    an 'oath' taken by 2 student that they would never sparr each other

Is talent genetic?
    yes, but it is often wasted and does not surpass hard work

If you were on the grading panel, what techniques would you determine to be 'too aggressive' or 'excessive' in a self defence demonstration? Why?
    Techniques invilving punching to the throat, stamping on downed opponents, and using disarmed weapons on attackers.
    these show a lack of maturity when dealing with self defence

Thank you Gnarlie for posting the questions.

Gnarlie likes this.
  2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Do you have a go to technique in mind at that stage?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean...For example?
    Agree. It could be argued that a person who claims to understand culture / philosophy but lacks physical ability due to undertraining does not understand culture/philosophy.
    Hilarious. Walk like a tiger. Grr, lol.
    Hard work surpasses untapped talent every time.
    Agree totally, great to hear someone else say it.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer.

3. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

In a situation where violence is likely, what should you concentrate on?

If it was only me then getting out of that situation as fast as possible, If it included others my wife family for example, making sure they were able to get out of the situation.

You have been asked to run a self-defence course for beginners. Content is up to you. What do you include?

I have always had problems with Self defence classes, Personally I think it takes a lot of training to be able to control our fight or fight responses, or people just freezing! rarely can this be taught in a couple of lessons.

Is learning about the culture that a martial art was born in important? Why?

I agree, also we have to adapt to our culture and apply it, without loosing contact from the foundation.

What ridiculous clich├ęs have you encountered?

Never encountered "walk like a tiger" made me smile though :)

Is talent genetic?

Certainly, but finding that talent can be difficult, or just relying on it. Talent and hard work a great combination, but for us normal people then hard work, works well.

If you were on the grading panel, what techniques would you determine to be 'too aggressive' or 'excessive' in a self defence demonstration? Why?

I actually was thinking about this for a while. If some one used a technique that I considered to be over the top, I would need to know why they decided to use it. For me its down to control, a full power front kick can rupture internal organs and kill the person, so can a hard punch to the throat. A controlled tap to the throat can cause an huge amount of discomfort without killing the person. I would have to disagree with Gnarlie, partly, executing the techniques with out control, just for the sake of it it does show a lack of maturity. Alternately executing those techniques with precision and control would to me show the opposite. The student is mature enough to distinguish, the areas needed to be attacked and the severity/power of that technique/s.

Great set of questions.

RR:D

4. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

long post warning

Actually it just so happens that I had to deal with the situation i was referring to a couple of weeks ago.

I had just started a self defence course with one of the local schools. A few of the teachers had voiced an interest in learning some self defence with a friend of mine who works there. I asked him for a rough idea of who might attend and he told me about 50 50 men and women none of which had done any MA or self defence before.I planned accordingly but as so often happens in these situations about half the people who said they were going to join suddenly found themselves busy on the night and withdrew before we even started. In this case it was mostly the male half, howeverI continued with the class plan regardless.I opened with pad work as i feel it is important for everyone to know how to strike and it also teaches pushing through certain barriers,

When i got on to the physical techniques the first one that i had planned was the defence against a wild haymaker, i had put this in because of the cross over from padwork to defence techniques and becasue it is a common attack for guys in bars etc.

Although the ladies trained and tried to take on the technique i could see it wasn't really working for them. My feeling is this was because:

- it is not an attack they are concerned with, it may happen but it is not as common as other attacks
    - they didn't believe that they would be able to do this particular defence for real, none of them had any experience and most of the didn't do any other type of exercise
    - the defence and attack made them feel uncomfortable from a point of view of mindset and aggression.

i brought that technique to a natural but quick close and moved on to the defence against being grabbed. Almost immediately the feeling in the room changed and the ladies became more active and interested. for the opposite reasons stated above. they felt this attack was much more what they were likely to face and didn't have the mind set or agression issues.

Now of course mindset and aggression are important for physical self defence but if the students are no able on the first day then there is not point pushing it. Making people feel uncomfortable while screaming at them "this is reality" is likely going to have you standing in an empty room very quickly. Whether you look at this from a business or a teaching point of view you have failed. Self defence is about building confidence as much as teaching techniques. I do put that particular group under stress but in measured amounts so that they can hopefully gain confidnce in the classes

In this way i feel that the people that are in your class should have an effect on what techniques you teach.

Gnarlie likes this.
  5. Gnarlie

But eloquently put. I understand what you mean now. Would you attempt to build confidence and change people's perception of reality over time, leading back to practicing the more aggressive attacks and defences? Or stick within their comfort zone?

6. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

yes, i would try to put in more aggressive attacks and take them progressively out of their comfort zone

7. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

I worry about people who take a self defense seminar and then think they can defend themselves.
    One of my FB friends was convinced you could disable someone by stomping on his foot. A determined
    attacker would not relent, even if you broke his foot.
    People think a kick in the crotch is a sure way to disable an attacker. Not always...

8. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

i think that sometimes instructors get caught up with winning.

I amnot looking to be or to teach people to be street fighters, knockout technicians, or any other well worn cliche. in my class i have 6 ft ex-rugby players and 5 ft slight build office ladies. if i am really teaching self defence than i have to be able to teach the small ladies defend themselves against the big guys. otherwise what am i preparing them for?

in reality there i very little if anything that the lady i mentioned in the example can do to the guy physically to the point that he will be knocked out. if i am teaching her and using phrases like disable an attacker then i am not really teaching her anything. in fact i might be putting her in danger if she is fully committed to what is being taught.

when i see instructor giving this sort of advice i get annoyed for many reasons. lying to students, lack of thought or experience, and also this shows that they themselves may not actually believe in what they teach. i once had a guy teach me a knife defence technique. it basically involved twisting the attacks had round and makng him stab himself (think stop hitting yourself) he backed up the technique with a lon explanation of how you could get away with it because your finger prints wouldn't be on the knife. i seriously doubt that he had spent any serious time thinking about the technique beyond how cool he would look doing it

never went back to the class

9. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

The best defense is... RUN!
    (and bring a slower friend)

10. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I

In reality, the best way to strike the groin is a very powerful strike from under the testicles, straight up. The front is painful, but less damage, if needed. The testicles can be driven up into the pelvis, thereby needing, potentially, surgery to drop them.

11. Gnarlie

The best defence is not being there in the first place.

12. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

You could call that a second puberty.