Grade and affiliation

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by ssiidd, Mar 20, 2014.

1. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Would be useful to see members' grades/affiliation, can this be made mandatory? It just helps when responding to questions as knowing the grade and association will help tailor the responses to individuals.

3. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

What about those who have no affiliation?

4. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

I am sure they can stick with the honest 'no affiliation'.

5. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I am of no tkd affiliation as my pic shows.

6. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

Well what about the school, that you got your second dan in? To have been given a rank, you must have been somewhere. Example alot of small schools are affiliated with ITF/WTF. No matter how big the plant, the seed it came from fell from a tree.

7. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I think what you are mentioning would be more along the lines of lineage rather than affiliation in terms of "seed from a tree" analogy.

Like for example, my 1st dan came from a 6th dan who in turn came from a 9th dan of the Moo Duk Kwan. But my instructor is independent and not affiliated and thus I am not affiliated to any other organization (from what I understand is my instructor and his grandmaster had a falling out over their school when he was helping run and teach grandmaster's academy).

Given that, in your analogy my "affiliation" would go back to Moo Duk Kwan, but they wouldn't recognize my rank or anything.

Pat Thomson likes this.
  8. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

I understand, thats a rare circumstance. Alot of people I have met that do taekwondo, just don't realise who they are affiliated with.

9. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Definitely. I understand your point though, just a bit of devil's advocate.

Even if you aren't "affiliated" most students of a singular art have been taught a specific "style" rather they realize it or not.

Pat Thomson likes this.
  10. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

Exactly, the branches all go back to the old KTF which became the ITF, which im fairly sure WTF split from before It changed. The KTF sent masters around the world to introduce Taekwondo internationally, and alot of these masters either joined ITF/WTF or made their own. Most schools are now very sport focused, then there are Olympic focused and the old Military styles. Id love to know more about what made most schools switch to a more sport focused art.

Finlay likes this.
  11. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Thats interesting, do you know what differences were made from KTF to ITF in regards forms etc.

12. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

Apologies it was the KTA (Korean Taekwondo Association) not KTF bad memory. Id guess closer to ITF, bus the KTA and the 12 original masters split to form the ITF, Kukkikwon and WTF they could have been similar to any. If I get a chance next time I see World Master Chong Chul Rhee I might ask as it is interesting.