Greetings

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by Shawchert, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

Hello! It is great to find an active (or semi active) board for Taekwondo. I love this martial arts, though from my experience you probably couldn't tell.
    I started when I was 16 years old, but left when i was almost 18 because of my mom's financial issues... aka she didn't want to pay anymore and I wasn't allowed to have a job due to my not so very good grades in school. So I left, as a Green belt (6th gup). I returned when I was 21 and within the second week I was told I was going to be made a blue stripe or I would be the only green belt they had, this was not the same instructor I had when I first started. I said no and quit. There is no way I'll accept a new belt without EARNING it first!!!

Skip 12 years later (though I wanted to go back earlier than that, like within the day I left :() I found a Taekwondo dojang nearby a few years prior and since I can't drive, I have tried and tried to get a ride to go there for so long. Finally this year, late august I did and I signed me and my son up for classes. My son is 9 years old, he will grade in january for his yellow stripe (i'm so excited!!). I told my instructor I would love to train with my son and go through it again but by the end of the week my instructor said I belonged as a green belt! This news was actually pretty heartwarming, because it means I did earn my green belt when I had received it.

So here I am, having been training for 2 months now, getting back into everything and I am pretty certain I'm on par! I relearned all my patterns, though I'm still getting the hang of Yul Guk, but I am confident I will get it very soon. :) I hope to make some friends here and learn new things and get news that I other wise wouldn't get on my non-existent cable tv lol. Thanks for reading! :)

3. Ade Tomlinson

Ade Tomlinson New Member

Good to make your acquaintance shawchert , there are some great resources for patterns now a days , you can check out blackbelt wiki , youtube to name but a few .
    I have made a student handbook form an old version created by my previous instructors as they really new their stuff .
    Ade

4. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

thank you. This was actually nearly a year ago :3 I am now a blue belt! I am right in the game and I'm so happy to be a part of the taekwondo experience. Yes i've watched many youtube videos. I am also working on my own theory book which means I am doing lots and lots of studying, and conversing with the black belts in my class. (i tried getting one for myself but it was not what our dojang always does and there were so many mispellings that it was crazy!)

Ade Tomlinson likes this.
  5. Ade Tomlinson

Ade Tomlinson New Member

drop me an e mail happyu to share mine if it helps . Congrats on the blue belt too .
    A

6. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

It is great to know someone that had the same passion. I was a blue belt while I am in the Army. Have not been practising since I left many years back. When I see my son have the need to strengthen his body, I enrolled him to TKD. Due to the coach only teach kids only. I watch over my son on every training. Until lately, we trained under a different coach that willing to training adult and kids together.

My son is a Black Tip now, while I have to start all over. For the first 3 months, I gain my double promotion. But I did progress to next grading till 6 months later. Now I am preparing for the next grading for my yellow tip. Hope that I will be a motivator for my son too.

Shawchert likes this.
  7. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

That's great that you are going back through it even if you have to start from the beginning. It sucks if you do, because that's a long time in training that you lost there! but also good because it gets you back into the whole thing! Keep up the great work and you'll catch up to your son soon enough! My son is going for his green stripe or 7 kup :)

1 person likes this.
  8. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

Today is my second grading while my son still preparing for this Jr Black next coming grading. Start out good, but my kicking did not do as good as I expect. At least, I know what should I improve in the next grading.

Hope that I would get my promotion as per expected.