GYM & TAE KWON DO

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Neel-TKD, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Neel-TKD

Neel-TKD New Member

Hey guys, firstly I'd like to say what a respectable community this is. I'm so happy to be part of it.

My concern begins with muscle tightness.

I've been going to gym for the past two years, and went through a fat loss process, and a muscle building stage. Gym has now begin a life style, rather than a task. Although, my instructor has told me to quit the gym as it causes muscle tightness from lifting heavy weights constantly. I've been doing TKD for around 9 months, and my flexibility has increased, I can kick above my head, although can not hold it. I feel as if this may be holding me back to achieve great flexibility, although I really don't want to give up gym.

Does anyone have a plan or any advice to mix the two? (Gym and TKD) So a plan which allows me to build muscle but helps with TKD? Rare, but worth a try.

I have been told by my instructor respectively, that I have progressed well since starting and I am up to a blue belt standard. Even though I'm a yellow belt.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you!

2. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I won't take muscle building stage, only fat loss. Tight muscle means heavier muscle. You'll get a slow down and difficulty in doing aerial moves, though perhaps still possible.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Hi Neel, welcome.

Try Thomas Kurz's book, 'Stretching Scientifically'. It will help you.

When weight training is approached in the right way, it helps with power, speed and flexibility. Every elite player has weight training as part of their daily schedule.

It just has to be done right - it's no myth that weight lifting without appropriate stretching can lead to shorter muscles. This can be avoided with the right stretching and through combination with plyometric training.

It doesn't mean quit the gym. It means train smart.

4. Chuco915

Chuco915 New Member

I am fairly new to the forums as well but not to Tae Kwon Do and weight lifting. My two passions, I completly agree with you on the part about lifting becoming a life style, for some even an addiction haha. I started TKD before I began lifting but once I
    started lifting, I became a complete athlete, much stronger and with more stamina. Greatest shape I have ever been. I dont see why many here and other martial arts forums see muscle as a disadvantage, it is not. How is being stronger than you opponent a weakness? But anyways putting on muscle and doing TKD at the same time is pretty difficult but completely possible. It's all about diet. I take a scoop of mass gainers on the day I do TKD so that I can have extra calories to burn without using up the calories I have reserved for building muscle mass. Also dont do TKD everyday, if you want to keep putting muscle mass on, doing a high cardio activity such as TKD everyday, will make putting muscle a lot more harder. Do it 2-3 times a week and make sure to eat extra on those days (use a mass gainer to make thing easier)

5. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

I dont think anyone says it is a bad thing, but putting on extra mass will be a detriment to your speed. as you are more heavy and have more weight to pull around. Secondly, if you are a competitor and adhere to point sparring strictly, you might consider yourself to have enough strength to score points without an issue, so your goal would be to move to more speed based exercise, and keeping lighter so you can compete in a lower weight division.

just like gnarlie said "It doesn't mean quit the gym. It means train smart."

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  6. Gethin_Rhys_James

Gethin_Rhys_James New Member

Hi. Just a quick back ground on myself for credibility purposes. I am a 4th Dan, national squad member for Wales and a personal trainer. I've worked with various athletes from a variety different sports and oddly tkd is the only sport where weight training has been associated with being slow. As Usaine Bolt weight trains 3 times per week for 1:30 hours per session and as top Olympic lifters demonstrate incredible hip and shoulder flexibility, the average tkd participant stays behind.

7. Gethin_Rhys_James

Infact the eccentric phase of weight lifting has been proven to be more beneficial to flexibility than static stretching!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  8. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Flex Wheeler. Need I say more?

9. Beklet

Beklet New Member

Interesting....

Before I started TKD I did a lot of weight training (I had aspirations of becoming a powerlifter, before injury put a stop to it)

I've noticed since the weights have dropped off and I've concentrated mainly on TKD and CV work, my muscles have got progressively tighter, and I've had to use more help in way of foam rollers and sports massage therapy.

I'm so fed up of it, I decided going back to the gym was the only way to go, and I'm seeing a PT who will teach me Olympic weightlifting, as I've heard it will benefit my tight hips, calves and ankles, as well as increasing my jumps...

10. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Get Stretching Scientifically by Tom Kurz. He talks about stretching and weight strengthening for martial arts.

There are only 3-5 exercises needed, pretty much for strong lower back, abs, and legs. The squat and stiff-legged dead lift are a couple of examples. SEE Kurz's books/videos on his website for Stadion Publishing (Stretching Scientifically and Secrets of Stretching are the ones to help you).

Weight lifting won't really help for jumping. Weight lifting excites the slow-twitch muscle fibres and the fast twitch are needed for jumping. All in all, the best bet for jumping is a progressive training program of plyometrics. Keep in mind, plyometrics are not just jumping for the sake of jumping and this is why I used the term "progressive".

11. Beklet

Beklet New Member

I had that book....I was looking for it recently but must have lost it in the move...

The weight lifting is mostly for hips and ankles, and as it's Olympic lifting, it's quite explosive, but I'll see what the man says - I'm sure I'll be incorporating squats and the like, but my squat form has suffered too, I'm not imagining this is going to be a quick or easy fix...I've laid off the weights far too long, but I'm getting weak, and that's not acceptable to me. I'm neither fast, nor flexible (and also very short), so my strength is my main advantage :D

12. Gethin_Rhys_James